GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, September 1, 2017 – N-day
School Mission – Boundless STEM: Learning & Leading
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Students – remember to stay situationally aware around our campus. Lock your vehicles when parked in the downtown area. There have been reports of vehicle break-ins in the KMA parking lot (which you should not be using because they are timed) and a student was approached and followed a distance by a homeless person walking by himself. Please make arrangements to try to always be in a group or at least a pair walking to and from your car if parked off campus. No need to be afraid – just pay attention. And report anything suspicious to Officer Clabo or other school personnel. Stay safe!
· Congratulations to our largest group of L&N Orchestral Gryphons for being selected to perform in the 2017-18 Knoxville Symphony Youth Orchestra: Gregory Croisdale (Violin, KSYO), Connor McGinley (Violin, Chamber), Maddie Maben (Cello, Chamber), Jack Baldwin (Cello, Chamber), Nick Thompson (Cello, Chamber), Kieran Maben (Bass, Chamber), Bobby Moran (Violin, Sinfonia). Way to represent!
· Students – a reminder for those who like to toss the Frisbee around. It is your responsibility to play safely – that means you move away from other people, cars, or glass that can be broken or chipped by the disc. You create a hazard when you try to toss it in the middle of a crowd. Violators run the risk of having your disc confiscated for a time to be determined by school admin. Enjoy the game responsibly!
· A reminder to students who ride school buses in the morning – published morning bus stop times are estimates. KCS recommends arriving at your bus stop 10-12 minutes before the listed time. The stops are not laid out for a convenient place to wait if they arrive before the printed time and the schedules were prepared with a small cushion for traffic patterns. They will be early sometimes but cannot wait if you are not there. If you’re there at the published time you are late – good job skill to develop, always plan to be there 10-12 minutes before you are scheduled!
· Students interested in some real banking experience? Finance, accounting, etc. are all STEM fields, too! Get some practical experience for your high school resume working for a branch of the Y-12 Credit Union right here in our school! Stop by the office to pick up more information and an application from Mrs. Schlutz. She can answer questions for you, too!
· Yearbooks for the 2017-18 school year are officially on sale! Pick up an order form from the office any time or order yours from www.jostensyearbooks.com. The price per book is $55 now through September 15th. The longer you wait to order yours, the higher the price goes up, so make sure to order yours as soon as possible to save up to $25 this school year! Seniors: you can purchase a yearbook for $50 if you order before Nov 1. Special price does not apply to a customized order.
· Teens for Christ will be having their first meeting for this year at 8:50 Monday morning in room D113. Come join the fellowship!
· Order your class t-shirt for Spirit week today to support prom! They are on sale during all lunch periods for $15. Checks and cash are accepted as payment. XL sizes and up are +$1. Buy one while you still can! We will stop selling Friday, September 22nd.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Colleges visiting the L&N (see list below) soon – we’ve sent students to each of these! If you’re interested, stop by the guidance office to find out how to get to meet these recruiters:
o Tuesday 9/5 @ 12:15pm Lincoln Memorial Univ.
o Friday 9/8 @ 12:15pm Maryville College
o Monday 9/11 @ 9:00am Tennessee State Univ
o Monday 9/11 @ 10:30am Emory Univ
o Thursday 9/14 @ 12:15pm American Univ
o Thursday 9/14 @ 12:15pm Roanoke College
· Applications are now open for the United States Senate Youth Program. The program offers high school students in their junior or senior years the opportunity to participate in an annual Washington Week event in March, which includes a variety of events that promote a unique understanding of the structure of our national government. The Hearst Foundation also offers selected state finalists a $10,000 undergraduate scholarship. The student application and instructions for applying are available here. The deadline to apply is Oct. 27.
Quote of the day from Pat Riley:
Great effort springs naturally from a great attitude.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 3 time - US News & World Report medalist – Silver 2017, Gold 2016, Bronze 2015, 3 time - Newsweek’s Top 500 American High Schools 2015 – 17
2017-18 Knoxville Symphony Youth Orchestra Gryphons!