GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, March 1, 2017 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Seniors – Jostens will be here with your Senior Supplies on Tuesday, March 7 from 12:20 – 1:40 in the Media Center. You should receive a collection envelope at your home mail address. Bring it with any balance due to pick up your merchandise. Everything must be paid in full to pick it up. Anything not picked up will be taken back to Josten’s and cost $20 for anything that has to be mailed later.
· Student drivers – March 6 – 9 (next week), the Knoxville Boat Show has rented the Blackstock public parking lot we use for student parking. There will be a guard posted so you will not be allowed to park there Monday through Thursday next week. The street parking should be available along Grand Avenue. Keep in mind that the KMA lot is timed so you cannot park there all day long. We are very sorry for the inconvenience, but this is the price we pay for our wonderful location – a little sharing of space with our downtown neighbors every once in awhile.
· Students – did you know we have a co-ed Ultimate Frisbee team? It is a club sport. They have won tournaments and games all over this region and neighboring states. Practices are at 5:00pm at Morningside park. If someone needs a ride they can email to ask directly at email@example.com or send questions to coach Ted Parker at Lparker4@vols.utk.edu.
· Shout outs to our 2 Science Olympiad teams who competed this past weekend. The final results from our Regional tournament just came in. Our Team A finished 6th place, just one point behind 5th place Oak Ridge! All of our students did an outstanding job and Team A increased the number of medals earned from last year (This year- Team A: 12 medals; Team B: 5 medals). Below are the individual awards for the L&N:
o Write It Do It: 1st (Nick Brison and Marcus Lee); 2nd (Hunter Harris and Daniel Hristov)
o Dynamic Planet: 2nd (Connor McGinley and Kaylin Fleenor)
o Game On: 3rd (Marcus Lee and Cade Liggett)
o Helicopters: 3rd (Raymond Wysmierski and Ethan Hancock); 5th (Connor McGinley and Kaylin Fleenor)
o Towers: 3rd (Connor McGinley and Nick Brison)
o Disease Detectives: 4th (Jacob Samar)
o Robot Arm: 4th (Connor McGinley and Taylor Hinkel)
o Remote Sensing: 4th (Jacob Siler and Cade Liggett); 5th (Daniel Hristov and Cayden Coffman)
o Astronomy: 5th (Natalie Pullen and Daniel Hristov)
o Experimental Design: 5th (Samantha Bell, Kirsten Carter, and Jenny Liu)
o Forensics: 5th (Devon McGinley and Sydney Juhl)
o Material Science: 5th (Nick Brison and Jacob Siler)
o Rocks & Minerals: 5th (Kaylin Fleenor and Isabelle Toth)
o Wind Power: 5th (Daniel Eshleman and Jacob Samar)
· Students - Knox County CTE holds a systemwide competition called “CTE Goes Live” in May. It is held in front of a live audience on Market Square. We need to select our representative from the L&N. To be considered, you need to upload a video of you singing – has to be individuals (no groups) singing (no instrumentals only) – then send Mrs. Ashe the link to your video. We will send out a ballot and vote in Advisory on Friday, March 3.
· One of our advisory classes really needs your help in an upcoming hygiene product drive in our school. For the next two weeks (February 27th through March 9th), we will be collecting items to be donated to KARM Ministries. Items that are needed include things that you would use on a daily basis: deodorant, tooth paste, tooth brushes, bar soap, body wash, conditioner, shampoo, feminine products (tampons and pads), lotion, etc. Please remember that the items you donate need to be new and unused. Travel sizes and family sizes are both needed. Any and all donations should be dropped off in the library. So next time you are at the store, try and pick up a couple of items off this list, and help someone in our community that is in need. Thank you, in advance, for your corporation in this project.
· We know the weather seems to be turning off warm – please save your short shorts and cold shoulder tops for spring break! This is a reminder that all shorts (boys & girls) should come at least to the tips of your fingers when placed at your side. And there should be no bare midriffs, backs, or shoulders with straps smaller than 3 fingers wide. Let’s keep it covered up, folks. When you get dressed – think – would I want to see a teacher wearing this to teach me? If the answer is “no” – your teachers don’t need to see you wearing it to learn in their classes! We have plenty of disposable scrub suits waiting to be worn by those who choose to dress inappropriately!
· The L&N STEM PTSA is having a T-shirt design contest and we need lots of entries.... there's a $50 prize for the winning shirt design!...plus a free T-shirt! T-shirt will be screen printed in 2 colors (max) on a color shirt and have the L&N school crest on the front left chest. The design will be featured on the back of the shirt. Design should be something that represents our school or its culture. The shirts with the winning design will be made available to our current STEM family as well as incoming freshmen this Spring.
Artists may submit their entries in color to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your name, a brief artist's statement, your suggested shirt color and two ink colors (black and white count when on a color shirt). Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 pm, Monday, March 6. Winner will be chosen by the PTSA board of managers.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· The deadline to apply for the Y-12 FCU Bill T Hicks Scholarship is TODAY (March 1st). There are brochures and applications available in the guidance office, at the credit union pod (when our bank is open), and in the front office. The scholarship is $1000. To be eligible to apply, students must be a member of Y-12 (membership applications available at the bank on Friday in case any last minute students want to open an account to apply), have at least a 2.5 gpa, and must have been accepted to an accredited 2 or 4 year college. Applications can be given directly to bank personnel, sent via email, or mailed to the credit union. We will accept all that have been postmarked by March 1st.
· All graduating L&N seniors are encouraged to apply for the Merlin Scholarship and the The Rebekah Ellis Honorary Scholarship for Service each worth $1,000. One winner for each will be selected and announced at the awards night in April. All submissions must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 7. Follow this link to learn more about the scholarships, essay prompts and to apply.
Quote of the day from Eleanor Roosevelt:
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school