GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, December 7, 2017 – L-day
School Mission – Boundless STEM: Learning & Leading
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Plan to join us for our music program Winter Concerts – free admission!
o Choral Music: Tonight (Thurs), 12/7, 7:00 p.m., Immaculate Conception Church, 404 W Vine Avenue
o Instrumental Music: Fri, 12/8, 7:00 p.m., Knoxville Convention Center Auditorium
· Don’t forget to turn in the Student Information Sheet you received in Advisory class on Friday. If all the information is correct, just have your parents sign and return. If needed, make corrections, have your parents sign and return to the front office. Students may not sign their own sheet, even if you are 18.
· Going on through Dec 18th: L&N projectU is sponsoring a Holiday Food Drive to donate food baskets to students in need within our school, students in the KCS community & other organizations! Our goal is to put together at least 10 food baskets or more. Donation containers are in the Commons area & contributions of $1.00 each will help to purchase a ham or turkey for each basket. Your Club or Organization can also donate an entire basket or two! A $50 donation will purchase all food items including the turkey or ham for each basket. Look for Club/Organization donation information in the Commons drop-off area and make your contribution donation before December 18th!
· Our Key Club is participating in two projects and needs YOUR help collecting items!
1) Toiletries Drive for Beaumont Magnet Academy's local community--We've learned that many public assistance programs don't cover hygiene products for those in need. We're working with Beaumont Magnet Academy to collect all hygiene products but especially shampoo, soap, hand or body lotion, antiperspirant/deodorant, and feminine products. Any sizes and quantities are welcome (including travel size)! Please drop them off in the collection bin in the Bookstore Hallway.
2) Plastic Grocery Bags Collection: We'll be collecting disposable shopping bags all year to create lightweight sleeping mats to distribute to our homeless community. (Here's a video if you're interested.) Each mat requires about 700 disposable shopping bags (what you'd get from Wal-Mart or a grocery store). Please drop off your extra bags in the collection bin in the Bookstore Hallway.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Seniors we are almost there! 70% of you have completed your FAFSA. Ask your friends if they have – let’s reach 100% before end of the semester, because friends don’t let friends lose money by missing the FAFSA deadline!!
Quote of the day from Thomas D. Wilhite:
Let your life mean something. Become an inspiration to others so that they may try to do more and to become more than they are today.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 3 time - US News & World Report medalist – Silver 2017, Gold 2016, Bronze 2015, 3 time - Newsweek’s Top 500 American High Schools 2015 – 17, TN Reward School (3 times)