GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, February 24, 2015
“L” Day Classes
ONE HOUR DELAY SCHEDULE – see bottom of briefing
· For our first days back to school please take extra caution walking outside – there are a lot of icy patches in the parking lot. Use rails when coming down stairs and inside doors – the tile floors will be slick! Also, dress in layers – the heat around the building is very uneven!
· Freshmen – its your turn to show us what you know about writing! Wednesday and Thursday we will be administering the MIST Writing Assessment to all Freshmen. See schedule at bottom of announcements.
· Gryphon Aquatics finished 7th place at The Tennessee High School State Swim Meet (TISCA)on February 13 - 14th. L& N STEM was the second highest finishing Knox County school! There were 43 high school teams from all over Tennessee. L&N STEM had 4 individual State Champions!!!! - James Bretscher was a double winner winning 100 fly and 100 back. L&N STEM won both the men’s and women’s diving titles -Emily Bretscher won 1 meter diving and Jacob Siler won 1 meter diving. Other top finalists were Alli Lapps 2nd in 100 back, Paul Bretscher 4th in 1 meter diving, Cole Patrick 8th in 1 meter diving. Way to go team!!
· Attention juniors and seniors: there's only two weeks to purchase prom tickets. They are $50 for singles, and $90 for couples. The tickets can be purchased during all lunches on Wednesday and on early release Fridays. You only have until March 6 to buy both your prom ticket and pay your senior dues!
· Who? 2015 Senior Class
What? Pick-Up Jostens Graduation Orders (cap, gown, other purchased items)
When? Friday, February 27, 2015
Where? 2:30 p.m. (Early Release Day) L&N Commons
· Help the Seniors leave a great gift to our school! Eat at Jason’s Deli on Cumberland Ave this Saturday, Feb 28, from 5:00 – 10:00 p.m. and drop your receipt in the collection box. We get a portion of all receipts as a donation!
· Please bring in peanut butter – any kind – to contribute to the annual Knox County PTA peanut butter drive for Second harvest food bank. You can also bring in money – Mr. Powell has an envelope to collect at the front office.
· High school summer abroad programs available with scholarships to offset the costs. Go to www.ciee.org/high-school-summer-abroad for info.
Quote of the day from Langston Hughes:
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)
TODAY’S SCHEDULE – NO GENIUS HOUR
1st block 10:30 – 11:45
2nd block 11:50 – 1:50 (lunch embedded)
* Stanish’s 2nd block will meet in room 104
1st lunch 12:20 – 12:50
2nd lunch 12:50 – 1:20
3rd lunch 1:20 – 1:50
3rd block 1:55 – 3:10
4th block 3:15 – 4:30
Here’s the lunch schedule:
1st lunch: 12:20– 12:50
Blevins, Brown, Fannon, Jones, Cartwright, Norton, Jorgenson, Napier
2nd lunch: 12:50– 1:20
Robbins, Griggs, Stanish, Smith, Crattie, Mangone, LaFollette
3rd lunch: 1:20– 1:50
Webb, Knox, Orrick, Elliott, Hawkins, Ogden
9th grade writing assessment schedule:
Wednesday, Feb. 25th--1st block (students report directly to testing rooms)
Jones' N1 to Media Center
Cartwright's N1 to Media Center
Cartwright's N2 to 104
Displaced Classes: Webb's N1 to Room 202
Norton's N2 to Room 213
Wednesday, Feb. 25th--3rd block (students report directly to testing rooms after Genius Hour)
Norton's N3 to Media Center
Jones' N4 to 104
Displaced Classes: Sera's N3 Digital Music class to Room 213
Wilsey's N4 Astronomy to Room 207
Thursday, Feb. 16th--1st block (students report directly to testing rooms)
Jones' L1 to Media Center
Jones' L2 (Last Names: Sutton-Yeatts) to Media Center
Jones' L2 (Last Names: Archer-Spiller) to 10