GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, May 1, 2015
“N” Day Classes
TESTING SCHEDULE STARTS MONDAY!
· Congrats to Riley Forrest-Bank our only tennis player to advance to the finals in singles play in the District tournament being played today!
· Let’s hear a big ‘Euge!’ for the following students who excelled on the 2015 National Latin Exam:
o Ryan Flint (Latin IV) and Alec Bissell (Latin III) won gold medals for their Summa Cum Laude performance. Ryan, as a graduating senior, is eligible for an NLE scholarship.
o Preston Nicely (Latin III) and Cole McElmurray, Madeline Phillips, Brice Ard, and Jacob Samar (Latin II) won silver medals for Maxima Cum Laude performance in Latin II.
o Magna Cum Laude’s went to Hannah Lynn (IV), Kelley Shamblin (III), Ethan Baughman and Abigail Morgan (II) and Nathaniel Smith (I).
o Cum Laude’s go to Justin Cross and Alli Lapps in Latin III; Katlynn Armstrong, Sydney Fuhrig, Gareth Frymier, Alex Lambert, and Aron Devereaux in Latin II.
· Hey Gryphons! As we explained a couple weeks ago, our Leadership Class is creating a Street Store for our final service project. The Street Store is an international effort that focuses on providing donated clothing and shoes to a local area's homeless population for free! Please click on this link to view the official Street Store video. If you'd like to help us raise money to purchase new clothing to give to those in Knoxville who have so little, please visit our GoFundMe site: http://www.gofundme.com/sf3bau4
What else do we need? DONATIONS!
We'd like to ask you again to please, please, please donate your old clothes and shoes to this cause! Remember that we can't accept undergarments (panties and bras) or socks, UNLESS they are newly purchased! We don't discriminate against sizes and would love to get a wide variety of clothing! We're also accepting travel size toiletries, especially deodorant and hand sanitizer, to put in care packages for our customers.
Want to get involved? VOLUNTEER!
You can sign up to volunteer with our Leadership Class by taking this survey. This is a great way for you to help impact the less fortunate in our city as well as earn community service hours!
Where do you donate? STREET STORE BOXES!
Look for the boxes that have a Street Store Flyer posted on it. Boxes are located in the commons, the front office, and the depot! If you have a bag that's too big for the box, drop it off at the media center with Ms. Ellis! Be sure to bag your items, provide your name and student email address inside the bag with your donations. The deadline to donate is May 1st!
FREE PIZZA! EVERY student who donates 20 pounds of clothing (or more) will be invited to a pizza party for their donations!!
· SGA is helping out the YMCA with their charity funds by hosting a field day. Come out and join us TODAY There will be a spikeball tournament as well as a couple games of frisbee and four square. It will be from 4:45-7:45. Help us support the YMCA and have a blast!
· The Technology Student Association of the L&N STEM Academy will be selling STEM themed vinyls and Hershey's Chocolate bars in the commons during the coming mornings and lunches. The vinyls start at $4 and come in 3, 4, and 5 inch variants with green, yellow, black, and white being the color choices. You can also order a customized vinyl for $10. Hershey's chocolate bars will be available for purchase at the price of $1. We will be providing a special on buying a package of a 4 inch vinyl with a Hershey's bar. We will also be providing this package for free if you are our 100th buyer! We will start selling on April 20th and continue selling until May 7th. Our Vinylla and Chocolate fundraiser will go towards helping us compete at this year's National Conference in Dallas so consider coming by our table to buy a vinyl and a chocolate bar!
· English EOC Morning Review Sessions: The English Department of the L&N STEM Academy will be hosting English EOC Morning Review Sessions. Last review session is Friday! Please RSVP here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c044cadab2ca5f58-english
o Friday, May 1st: Literary Terms
LOCATION: Room 104
· SPORTS PHYSICALS FOR ALL SPORTS 2015-2016: KOC is offering $10 sports physicals at Thompson-Boling Arena on Saturday, May 2. These physicals are good for any sport in the 2015-2016 school year. Students must bring Knox County/TSSAA Sports Physical Form that has been signed by a parent/guardian. These forms may be downloaded from the Athletics page of the L&N website or at www.kocortho.com.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Want to get together with a couple friends and participate in a KAT scavenger hunt this summer, June 12? Fabulous prizes for winning teams! See the attachment labeled “Scavenger Hunt” for more info!
· The Children's Festival of Reading will take place on Saturday, May 16th from 10am until 3pm at World's Fair Park. I have attached a flyer with more information. To sign up to volunteer, please use this link:
https://kcpl.wufoo.com/forms/childrens-festival-of-readingvolunteer-form-2015/ See announcement attachment for more info about the event.
· Are you a 16- to 18-year-old who loves nature and science? NatureBridge, a nonprofit organization that connects young people to the wonder of science and nature, is hosting a two-week science and wilderness exploration program. More than 50 teens from Alcoa communities around the world will be selected to spend part of their summer exploring, adventuring and backpacking in Yosemite National Park (California) or Olympic National Park (Washington). The program fees are covered through a grant from Alcoa Foundation. For more information and the application, visit http://www.naturebridge.org/alcoa-scholars-summer-program-2015. The deadline to apply by May 1.
Quote of the day from Mark Caine:
The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)