GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, February 2, 2015
“N” Day Classes
· HUGE CONGRATS to our swimming and diving Gryphons! They really shook things up this weekend at the KISL Championships when they won BOTH Boys and Girls Diving Titles and took Third place overall Swimming, beating out traditional powerhouses and coming in only behind two established giants (HVA and Farragut). Meet records were set by our swimmers – and a legacy has been born – watch out state championships, some Gryphons are coming!
· Congratulations to L&N’s Ethics Bows team consisting of Kaitlyn Armstrong, Chase Compton, Justin Cross, Madeline Lonas, and Bailey Morgan for taking 2nd place in the 6th annual Ethics Bowl this past Saturday! The UT Center For The Humanities and Department of Philosophy hosted the event at the University Center where 15 teams from the East Tennessee area competed. In addition to professors from the University, judges included state Senator Becky Massey and Police Chief David Rausch. The L&N team made up of Mattie Collins, Taylor Flores, Jentry Jones, Hayden Marshall, and Taylor Smith only narrowly missed also making the 3 team final championship round. Mr. Webb would like to commend all these students for representing our school extremely well and bravely presenting their views and convictions in this challenging forum for exchanging ideas.
· Teens for Christ has resumed meeting this winter on Monday mornings in the Depot before school.
· Big thank-you’s to all who performed, organized, and all who attended our first Open Mic Coffee House night on Friday. It was a blast and definitely set the stage to be continued next year. You guys were a great audience – you exemplified what Gryphons’ real strength is – to be able to celebrate each other and embrace diversity! Well done!! NOW – make plans to -
Walk into a winter wonderland on February 7th to enjoy one of the best nights of the year. Join SGA for the first annual L&N STEM Academy winter formal. Tickets are $10 for an individual, and $18 for a couple. They will be sold this week! Suggested attire is semi formal (which usually means a nice dress for girls and a shirt and tie or suit for guys). You won't want to miss the chocolate fountain and a fun night of dancing.
· Tune into your local PBS TV station at 5:30 on Tuesday to watch students from the L&N Scholar’s Bowl Team compete at the 31st annual East TN PBS Scholar’s Bowl! Go Gryphons!
· Financial Aid Night with TSAC: All seniors and their parents - February 2nd from 5:30-6:30 What you need to know about financing college. Presented by Erika Adams regarding FAFSA and basic scholarship info.
· Rising Student and parent Night (9th, 10th, and 11th grades) + Dual Enrollment Information Session: February 5th 5:30-6:15. Dual Enrollment 6:15-7p General overview of high school expectations and course catalog review to make informed schedule requests for next year, followed by an informational session regarding Dual Enrollment from the Pellissippi representative .
· Until Feb 15th there will be a collection container in the front office where you are encouraged to bring in any clean, wearable, used jeans. The retail company Aéropostale is sponsoring a competition among high schools to bring in jeans for distribution at homeless shelters locally and around the country. There is a grand prize of $5000 for the top four schools’ donations – plan now to contribute – all sizes!
· Please bring in peanut butter – any kind – to contribute to the annual Knox County PTA peanut butter drive for Second harvest food bank. You can also bring in money – Mr. Powell has an envelope to collect at the front office.
· High school summer abroad programs available with scholarships to offset the costs. Go to www.ciee.org/high-school-summer-abroad for info.
Quote of the day from Mahatma Gandhi:
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)