GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, February 10, 2015
“L” Day Classes
· Sophomore writing test continues today– see schedule at bottom.
· Seniors – you received an email last night about the senior gift. If you wish to contribute by check you can make them payable to “L&N STEM Academy, Class of 2015 Statue”
· Help seniors raise funds for their gift to the school – purchase an “Abraham Hat Pass” to wear your hat this Thursday, Feb 12, all day long in the building in honor of Lincoln’s actual birthday. Purchase your pass for $1 and all funds go towards the senior gift.
· Thank you for your participation in yesterday’s college fair at Genius Hour. Here are some comments we received from the recruiters here: “The reps gave a glowing report about our students. They all gushed that they would be happy to come back to stem anytime and were really impressed with the caliber of students we are producing. Many of the reps mentioned that our sophomores were especially exceptional and said that nearly all of our students asked engaging and intelligent questions.” Way to go Gryphons!
· In case you didn’t see it live last night – look for the Twitter chatter from the 1st ever STEMinar event hosted by our English Dept. Just look for #STEMinar15. Great job done by all!
· SECME (SouthEastern Consortium for Minorities in Engineering) club is selling heart shaped balloons for delivery on Friday. $2 per balloon. You can buy them during lunch all week long.
· Freshman Noah Smith is raising money to attend the National Leadership Conference this summer. You can buy a World’s Finest Chocolate bar from him when you see him – look for him rolling his cart through the hallways and help him get to D.C. this summer!
· Just in time for Valentine’s Day, the media center will be offering a match-making service! From Monday, February 9th to Friday, February 13th, come to the media center and let us set you up on a blind date—with a good book! We’re wrapping up some of our books so that you can’t judge them by their covers (or their titles or blurbs). You’ll pick a book based on hints in its personal ad, and you won’t know what book you’ve chosen until you check it out and unwrap it. If you’re willing to take a chance on something new and different, you might just fall in love! (And even if the book you pick isn’t a good match for you, at least you’ll get to unwrap a present; and who doesn’t like finding out what the surprise is under wrapping paper?)
· Until Feb 15th there will be a collection container in the front office where you are encouraged to bring in any clean, wearable, used jeans. The retail company Aéropostale is sponsoring a competition among high schools to bring in jeans for distribution at homeless shelters locally and around the country. There is a grand prize of $5000 for the top four schools’ donations – plan now to contribute – all sizes!
· Please bring in peanut butter – any kind – to contribute to the annual Knox County PTA peanut butter drive for Second harvest food bank. You can also bring in money – Mr. Powell has an envelope to collect at the front office.
· High school summer abroad programs available with scholarships to offset the costs. Go to www.ciee.org/high-school-summer-abroad for info.
Quote of the day from Paul Bryant:
Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)
WRITING ASSESSMENT TESTING FOR 10TH GRADERS TODAY!
Wed, Feb. 11th during N1 and N2: Report directly to testing location at 9:30
Fannon N2 class to Media Center
Blevins N1 class to 104
Blevins N3 to Mezzanine Lab (M052)
Blevins N4 class - Students with Last Names Abead-Holden to Room 104
Students with Last Names James-Poveda to Media Center
Displaced classes: Webb's N1 class to 207 and LaFollette's N1 to G002; Norton's N2 to 202 and LaFollette's N2 to 213