For Tuesday, January 14, 2014
· Seniors: This is a reminder that the MANDATORY TN Achieves meeting is today (Tuesday, January, 14th) at 11:00 in the Media Center. Failure to attend will result in loss of your scholarship!
· BIG CONGRATS to the Safety Animation Video team from the L&N STEMpunks FIRST Robotics team. Over the weekend they were awarded the prize for #3 in the nation for their safety video submission! This is huge!! Way to go STEMpunks!
· If you have any snow/holiday pictures that you would like to be featured in the yearbook, please send them to email@example.com, along with a quote about your winter break, by January 17th.
· If you would like to participate in the Flag-Football 2014 Spring Season you need to email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. The deadline to sign up will be January 31st. Use the same contacts if you have any questions.
· The Gryphon Film Club is holding auditions for a male voice-acting role in an upcoming short film we are producing. The film is a parody of Tim Burton's short "Vincent" and is titled "Tim." The auditions will be held on Thursday, January 16th starting after school at 4:40. Email Benjamin Croisdale (S932251) to sign up and receive a script.
· Interest meeting – any student interested in traveling to Nashville, Fisk University, for the Education Equal Opportunity Group’s Project Save-A-Student Leadership and Training Conference on February 26 – 28, needs to attend an informational meeting on Tuesday, Jan 14 at 9:00 in room 104. You can see highlight’s from last year’s conference at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecnmjAm8Ygc . If you cannot attend but want info, please email Mrs. Ashe.
· Juniors/Seniors: Buy your prom tickets! Price is $45 for singles/$80 for couples until Jan 31, then they go up $5 each. See Mrs. Brown or Ms. Stanish for tickets, questions, or an application to bring someone from outside the school. Prom is April 12 at the Square Room. Be there!
From the guidance office:
Seniors: Need help filing the FAFSA? Tusculum College will host “FAFSA Frenzy” on January 30th at 4:00 pm at the Knoxville Tusculum Campus. This is a community service event to help ALL Knox County seniors and their families file the FAFSA at no charge regardless what college the student plans to attend. Participants should bring their most recent tax return documentation and any questions they may have about financial aid and the FAFSA.
· UT College of Engineering (CoE) will host a series of summer engineering programs during the summer of 2014. For program information, dates, and deadlines; please go to the guidance page to see a flyer. Each program is a one-week residential program for high school students. You will want to look at the eVOL10 or HITES programs. All students are encouraged to apply. Our mission is to provide students who show an interest in engineering studies an early exposure to and preparation for scientific study and research.
Thirty-two students from around the southeast will be selected to participate for each program. Hands-on activities will spark an interest in the world of engineering and allow students to explore career opportunities. Throughout the program, participants will be challenged to apply what they have learned in engineering competitions. All applications must be received by their deadlines. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.engr.utk.edu/diversity/pre-college/.
Clubs and Organizational happenings:
· GSA is making changes – to better represent what they stand for, the new name of the group is the “Equality Club.” Their mission is to be a club that embraces individuality, accepts differences, and promotes activism for the improvement of society. Please join them on Tuesday mornings in room 104 from 8:50 – 9:15.
· Teens for Christ will resume meeting next week, beginning Jan 21.
Quote of the day from Leonardo DaVinci:
I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism