For Thursday, January 16, 2014
· Science Saturdays, sponsored by Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) begin this weekend! The first date is this Saturday, January 18th. The events are FREE to students, teachers, parents and volunteers. The winter sessions will be held at West High School in Knoxville, from 9:30 am – 11:30 am. Sign-in will begin at 9:00 am. Visit the website, www.orau.org/science-saturdays, for more information on the winter 2014 sessions and for links to registration pages for students, teachers, and volunteers.
· Josten’s will be here next Thursday, Jan 23, to deliver class rings. You must bring any remaining balance due for your ring before you can pick it up. Any student who wants to order a ring can do so on Thursday. You need a $50 deposit. Also, any senior who still needs to order graduation supplies needs to see the rep on Thursday for late ordering information.
· BIG CONGRATS to the Safety Animation Video team from the L&N STEMpunks FIRST Robotics team. Over the weekend they were awarded the prize for #3 in the nation for their safety video submission! This is huge!! Way to go STEMpunks!
· If you have any snow/holiday pictures that you would like to be featured in the yearbook, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a quote about your winter break, by January 17th.
· If you would like to participate in the Flag-Football 2014 Spring Season you need to email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to sign up will be January 31st. Use the same contacts if you have any questions.
· The Gryphon Film Club is holding auditions for a male voice-acting role in an upcoming short film we are producing. The film is a parody of Tim Burton's short "Vincent" and is titled "Tim." The auditions will be held TODAY after school at 4:40. Email Benjamin Croisdale (S932251) to sign up and receive a script.
· We're starting a Crochet Club here at school. If you love to crochet or you'd love to learn to crochet, please consider joining us! To begin we'll meet on Monday, January 27, from 4:30 to about 5:30 p.m. in the Commons. (If you're new to crocheting, just show up--with yarn and a crochet needle if you can. If you already crochet, bring your current project.) We can't wait to get started!
· Juniors/Seniors: Buy your prom tickets! Price is $45 for singles/$80 for couples until Jan 31, then they go up $5 each. See Mrs. Brown or Ms. Stanish for tickets, questions, or an application to bring someone from outside the school. Prom is April 12 at the Square Room. Be there!
From the guidance office:
· TN Achieves will be hosting a FAFSA sign up on January 26th from 9a to 2pm at the Pellissippi State Community College Campus 10915 Hardin Valley Rd, Knoxville, TN 37932
· Seniors: Need help filing the FAFSA? Tusculum College will host “FAFSA Frenzy” on January 30th at 4:00 pm at the Knoxville Tusculum Campus. This is a community service event to help ALL Knox County seniors and their families file the FAFSA at no charge regardless what college the student plans to attend. Participants should bring their most recent tax return documentation and any questions they may have about financial aid and the FAFSA.
· UT College of Engineering (CoE) will host a series of summer engineering programs during the summer of 2014. For program information, dates, and deadlines; please go to the guidance page to see a flyer. Each program is a one-week residential program for high school students. You will want to look at the eVOL10 or HITES programs. All students are encouraged to apply. Our mission is to provide students who show an interest in engineering studies an early exposure to and preparation for scientific study and research.
Thirty-two students from around the southeast will be selected to participate for each program. Hands-on activities will spark an interest in the world of engineering and allow students to explore career opportunities. Throughout the program, participants will be challenged to apply what they have learned in engineering competitions. All applications must be received by their deadlines. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.engr.utk.edu/diversity/pre-college/.
Clubs and Organizational happenings:
· Girl Talk next meeting is Tues, 1/28, in room 216 at 8:45.
· GSA is making changes – to better represent what they stand for, the new name of the group is the “Equality Club.” Their mission is to be a club that embraces individuality, accepts differences, and promotes activism for the improvement of society. Please join them on Tuesday mornings in room 104 from 8:50 – 9:15.
· Teens for Christ will resume meeting next week, beginning Jan 21.
Quote of the day from Albert Einstein:
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism