Monday, February 11, 2013

re: school evacuation on 2/11/13

Here's the story behind today's excitement.

There was a hissing sound and a smell occurring in the front stairwell.  Now, Mrs. Ashe knows how gas smells, but if you've talked to her today you know her nose is not working (stuffy congestion).  The sound was very distinct and I decided not to take the chance that it was gas.  If a student or teacher had walked by and gotten a phone call or text that incited a small electrical spark while passing through a cloud of gas that would have been it!  So we erred on the side of caution and ordered an evacuation.

The fire department responded and quickly identified a burst pipe that was emitting Hydrogen sulfide (a sulfur-smelling gas that is used to line old pipes) along with the water and that was the hissing and smell that others had identified as "not normal."

Thank you to students and staff who quickly and efficiently exited the building in an orderly manner - because of that I can safely say that no one was in any danger.  Sorry for the excitement and inconvenience it caused, but I will always make the decision to sound the alarm if I feel any student or staff might be in harm's way.  Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

No comments:

Post a Comment