For Wednesday, August 28, 2013
“L” Day Schedule
· Special announcement for all students: Two policies will be strictly enforced immediately:
o First – to comply with new security measures, all students must have their school ID visible on their bodies while on campus. Failure to do so will have 2 consequences: 1) you will be directed to the office to get a yellow “visitor” sticker to wear for the day, 2) external doors will not be unlocked/opened for you without proper identification; which may cause you to additionally break the second policy.
o Second – tardies to class will be counted for each class every day. The first two are considered “life happens” incidences with a warning. Beginning with the third tardy for any class (including 1st period), will result in escalating disciplinary actions that start with silent lunch and advance with each instance to Out of School Suspension for multiple days. This is a workplace skill – to be where you’re supposed to be when you’re supposed to be there. Start learning it here!
· 9th-11th graders may now sign up for the PSAT. Information about the PSAT can be found on the Guidance page of the website. Registration is $14.00 and can be turned in to Mrs. Johnson in the Guidance office. If payment is an issue for you, please check with your counselor to request a fee waiver voucher. The deadline for registration is September 18th at 4:00 pm. Payment can be made with check or EXACT cash and is NON-REFUNDABLE. The PSAT will be administered at STEM the morning of October 16th (the day before Fall Break).
· Anyone interested in SGA needs to attend a meeting either this morning, 8/28, at 8:45 or one at 4:30 p.m. (about 30 minutes each) in the Media Center. Please try your best to make it to one of these. If you absolutely cannot come, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Meetings will cover what SGA does and you will have a chance to sign up to help with events this year.
· Anyone interested in swimming/diving team, come to a team meeting Thursday morning, 8/29, at 9:00 in the STEM space in the Depot building. Email Dr. Knox if you can’t get to campus by that time.
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· This Friday, 8/30, any junior or senior interested in helping with the 2014 prom for juniors/seniors should join the group in room 104 (left door in the Commons Area) at 9:00 a.m. Questions? Email either Mrs. Brown (email@example.com) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Organizational meeting for the new Health and Environmental Safety Organization (HESO) club, Friday, 9/6, from 8:45 – 9:20 in room D120. For more info, email S018109@student.knoxschools.org.
· Did you know we have a student flag-football team? First gathering is this Friday on the World’s Fair lawn. If you’d like to participate or have questions, you need to email S017899@student.knoxschools.org or S806678@student.knoxschoools.org.
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
· Anyone interested in playing water polo, email email@example.com for information.
· GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
· Young Life will be back on campus beginning the week of Labor Day. Watch for morning meeting times and location.
College admissions/visits information:
http://mitadmissions.org/visit/travel - Sept 11 at Downtown Marriott
· Attention Seniors: We will be hosting a Senior Information Night on Thursday, September 12th at 6:30 pm in the STEM classroom of the Depot. Please join us for important information about college applications, requesting transcripts, and senior year timeline. Also joining us will be Elizabeth Raymond from the TN Student Assistance Corporation to talk about financial aid and scholarships. Please be sure to bring your parents!
Quote of the day: from Lee Iacocca:
In times of great stress or adversity, it’s always best to keep busy, to plow your anger and your energy into something positive.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School