For Monday, December 2, 2013
· Just a small reminder about professionalism as we return from the Thanksgiving holiday – first, be mindful of dress code. Knit caps, although fashionable, are not allowed inside the school building. You MUST remove all headcoverings that are not part of a religious practice – this goes for girls and boys, both. Also – we’ve been noticing some people “cutting” in front of others in the lunch line. You all have the same amount of time to eat and there is no hierarchy here among students, so it is really the height of UNprofessional behavior (and quite childish) to cut line. People observed doing so will be held till the end of the line and repeat offenders will serve lunch detention (eating by yourself at the office). Thank you for your help and cooperation in both of these matters.
· We need “elves” to help from 4:45 – approx. 6:30 today to help decorate our building with holiday finery in preparation for our Showcase on Tuesday, Dec 3. Please consider sticking around to help out, if you can.
· Please encourage (and come with) your parents to the Fall Showcase event, Tuesday, 6:00- 8:00 p.m. This is for both current and prospective students.
· Wed, December 4th we will be the first ever “Holiday Bowl” of Faculty vs. Seniors football game from 3:45 – 4:30. Tickets are $3 and can be purchased in the Commons at lunch. Monies raised will go toward scholarships for senior dues. Last day to buy tickets will be Tuesday, Dec 3.
· Show your team support by wearing black on Wednesday to support the Seniors or Green to support the faculty team (whether you’re going to the game or not).
· We’ll play on the World’s Fair Lawn and have music and concessions available. Those not attending will be in the Commons Area until dismissal time.
· Mark your calendars to attend the fall Music Showcase on Tuesday, Dec 10 from 7:00 – 8:30 at the Holiday Inn in the Grand Ballroom. Come for dinner by giving a $20 donation and getting a ticket from any music student.
· Start your Winter Holiday with a 2014 virtual basketball tournament in the Commons from 2:00 – 6:30 on Dec 19! See information below.
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Mtg (Magic: The Gathering) meets on Tuesday's in the commons at 4:45pm until 6:00pm. Everyone is welcome to join, whether you know, or do not know how to play.
· Chess club in room 202 at 8:30 on Wednesday mornings.
· Scholars bowl team practice Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:35, room 207.
· Gryphon Film Club meets Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
· GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
· Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
From the guidance office:
· Seniors: Need help filing the FAFSA? Tusculum College will host “FAFSA Frenzy” on January 30th at 4:00 pm at the Knoxville Tusculum Campus. This is a community service event to help ALL Knox County seniors and their families file the FAFSA at no charge regardless what college the student plans to attend. Participants should bring their most recent tax return documentation and any questions they may have about financial aid and the FAFSA.
Quote of the day from Arthur Ashe:
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School