For Tuesday, August 19, 2014
“N” Day Classes
· Thank you for your patience and good performance in our first Genius Hour. We’ll continue to work on ironing out the kinks this week and look forward to great energy and ideas to come from this brain break! Be sure to police your area for food or trash before leaving where you had lunch. Today was o.k. but not great – we can do better!
· If you wish to pay class or school fees please have your parents write a separate check for each fee and pay it to the teacher of that class. General fees (like Instruction, electronic resources, and iPads) can be paid to any teacher.
· Student Government Association (SGA) meets during Genius Hour on Mondays. If you're planning on attending this Genius Hour activity, you must have turned in a completed application and your fee to Ms. Ellis by Monday, August 25th. Students who don't comply will be reassigned to a different Genius Hour activity. Please see Ms. Ellis (in the Media Center) if you need an application or have any questions.
· Our ID machine has gone kaput. It is going back to the factory to get reconditioned so if you haven’t gotten your ID made for the new year yet, hang tight. We should have it back up ready to go by next Tuesday.
· You can return the forms you got in Advisory to any teacher or turn them in to the orange crate in the front office as soon as you get them signed.
· Yearbook/school photos will be taken this Thursday, Aug 21 during school. You must bring back the envelope you were given in Advisory last week with payment to order any pictures. You must bring it back even if not ordering so your name is spelled right in the yearbook – everyone will have their picture taken, even if you’re not ordering. Senior picture retakes (formals only, no environmentals) will be done at the same time.
· Dress code reminder: Its about covering up the skin! Please remember we don’t want to see your back, your thighs, or your midriff. All shirts must either tuck in or cover the area between your chest and pants/skirt/shorts waistline. Distressed jeans cannot have tears above where we would place the hemline (below your longest fingertip). Thank you for your cooperation!
· Are you a student in need of clothing or shoes for the new school year but family is strapped for money? Email Ms. Keith (Hillary.firstname.lastname@example.org) for info on how she an help you get what you need.
· Applications are now available for new board members for the State Farm Youth Advisory Board (YAB). This is an incredible opportunity for a young person to grow as a leader, help out their communities, and network with a diverse group of 28 youth, ages 17-20, from across the U.S! The YAB board is responsible for granting $5 million dollars in service-learning and community impact grants that seek to solve important domestic issues. As a member of the YAB, students will be provided an amazing personal developmental opportunity, as well as being able to make a long-lasting impact in communities they care about and provide solutions to today’s pertinent issues. Students can apply now by visiting http://sfyab.com/apply/the-board/. The application deadline is Oct. 3, 2014 at 5 PM (CST). You can check out the YAB on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube!
· Genius Hour for Tuesday sections was sent to you in an email by Mr. Childers tonight. We’ll also print the lists and post them around the school.
· Bell schedule for regular class days is:
o Zero block 8:00 – 9:25
o 1st period 9:30 – 10:52
o 2nd period 10:57 – 12:19
o Genius Hour – you should choose one of the following windows to eat. Be sure to check with your Genius activity coordinator for the day to make sure they don’t need you to eat a certain one.
§ 1st lunch 12:19 – 12:46
§ 2nd lunch 12:46 – 1:13
§ 3rd lunch 1:13 – 1:41
o 3rd period 1:41 – 3:03
o 4th period 3:08 – 4:30
Quote of the day from Colin Powell:
A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination, and hard work.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School