GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, December 10, 2014
“L” Day Classes
· Congrats to our Fine Arts department who put on quite a show for us all last night! The student visual art work in the atrium created a beautiful walkway in to a ballroom that came alive with music. In case you didn’t know, the concert was streamed live via high school cube – we have reports and comments from people watching in Minnesota, New Orleans, and South Carolina! Great way to show the artistic design side of creativity students – and congrats to Mr. Gibson and Sera for a great program!
· Mark your calendars now – SGA is sponsoring a Winter Dance at school on
January 31, 2015 from 7pm- 10pm. Stay
tuned for details – having to move due to big county swim meet! The theme is Winter Wonderland, and dress
attire will be formal. We hope to see you all there! Details soon on tickets and prices.
· Congratulations to the following students who advanced to the callback round of the Bijou Awards. The top five placing in each category will advance to the final competition that is a live performance at the Bijou in January: in acting – Ayauna Blair, Erykah Carter, Riley Hester, Wyatt McAlister, and Cypress Wade; in singing – Alyssa Cox-Lewis. Congrats and good luck!
· The time for Candy Grams is here! This year, SGA is partnering with Women in STEM to hold this delicious fundraiser. For those that don't know, Candy Grams are a STEM tradition in which candy canes (complete with a card) are sold during lunch at the low price of 2 for a $1 from December 8th-12th, and distributed the next week. Everyone can send them to anyone - from students to staff and in between! They are a great way to improve everyone's spirits during this busy testing time of the year.
· Students, parents and teachers, plan to "give the gift of life" and participate in the Medic Blood Drive on Monday, December 15 from 8 to 5 in the STEM Space. Students 16 and over are eligible to participate. If you're 16 and 120 lbs, you may donate with parental consent. (Please use the form attached or come pick one up from Ms. Ellis in the Media Center.) Seventeen year olds that weigh 110 lbs or more may participate as well and DO NOT need consent. EVERYONE donating blood must have ID with them as well as a list of medications if appropriate. Please encourage your parents to contribute as well during our blood drive. Use the following link to sign up:
· Yearbook Spread: Stress – Yearbook staff is creating a page that is all about the fears a student has that will help them build a Wordle for display in the publication. If you'd like to include a comment about your fears or even pictures of you conquering them, email email@example.com. All students are requested to visit this link and complete the form with your thoughts for the page, too. Thank you for your participation and time.
· Interested in serving as a facilitator for a student Honor Court? We’ll be staring one in January for infractions like plagiarism, cyberbullying, and excessive tardies. We need sophomores, juniors, and seniors to fill out the application before Christmas break. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for an application and see Mr. LaFollette if you have questions.
· Time to start ordering prom tickets! Order now to get the cheapest rate possible – tickets are $40 per ticket until the end of December. They will be available on Wednesdays during Genius Hour, and they will be sold at the door of the Media Center. In January the cost goes up. Get ‘em now!
Our PTSA is selling this vintage-L&N logo t-shirt as well as magnets and tumblers. Please click on the link https://gallery.mailchimp.com/77e166c77d97838cfbec7a0ce/files/2014_Order_Form_NEW.pdf to access the order form. The order will be placed Dec. 16. If you pay with PayPal, your confirmation must be included on or attached to the order form.
· Juniors who have not obtained their free state voucher for the ACT need to do so as soon as possible. If you didn't get in for the December test, there is another ACT being offered on Saturday, February 7th. The deadline to register for this is January 9th. Please make sure not to miss this important requirement for college admissions!
· ALL STUDENTS: Taking the December ACT? Want to increase your score? ACT and Test Prep is available! Cost: free! Where: Room 214 When: 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Nov 17, 19, 24, Dec 1, 3, 8, and 10 (Mondays and Wednesdays). Email Ms. Norton at email@example.com with any questions. Will be repeated with spring test dates!
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Next issue’s theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Students are invited to submit their work to firstname.lastname@example.org
Quote of the day from Albert Einstein:
The most precious things in life are not those you get for money.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)