GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, December 2, 2014
“N” Day Classes
· Are you interested in acting, improvisation, and problem solving? Do you have a lot of time on your hands? If so, than Destination Imagination is for you! Each year, Destination Imagination teams are presented with a new problem. Teams have to find a solution and present it through a creative skit. If this sounds like fun, please email Audrey Barbour at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Baby it's COLD outside! So, in the season of giving, help KARM by bringing in some of your old, gently used coats. The donation box will be located in the commons, so stop and plop your coats for those in need! The drive will last from December 1-5! Thank you for your support! Sponsored by the “Pay It Forward” Genius Hour.
· Art accolades: Congratulations to Shelby Hall, Hope Higginbotham, Austin Bradley, and Ben Hall, who each had work accepted into the juried East TN Regional Art Show at the Knoxville Museum of Art. This is a huge honor for our students as this competition includes all of East TN. Be sure to visit the KMA (free admission) and see their work on display through January 11, 2015.
· Interested in serving as a facilitator for a student Honor Court? We’ll be staring one in January for infractions like plagiarism, cyberbullying, and excessive tardies. We need sophomores, juniors, and seniors to fill out the application before Christmas break. Email email@example.com to ask for an application and see Mr. LaFollette if you have questions.
· Time to start ordering prom tickets! Order now to get the cheapest rate possible – tickets are $40 per ticket until the end of December. They will be available on Wednesdays during Genius Hour, and they will be sold at the door of the Media Center. In January the cost goes up. Get ‘em now!
· Want to be a published author? Want to discuss your ideas publicly? Submit a paper for the first annual STEMinar: a public forum to be held in February 2015. Write a paper on "Civil Disobedience in Life and Literature," and submit it to Mr. Blevins at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submissions is December 14th, 11:59 P.M. Ask any English teacher for more information!
Our PTSA is selling this vintage-L&N logo t-shirt as well as magnets and tumblers. Please click on the link https://gallery.mailchimp.com/77e166c77d97838cfbec7a0ce/files/2014_Order_Form_NEW.pdf to access the order form. The first order will be placed TODAY, and the last order will be placed Dec. 16. If you pay with PayPal, your confirmation must be included on or attached to the order form.
· JUNIORS ONLY: Students Invited to Apply for the Joint Science Education Project (JSEP) http://www.arcus.org/jsep
The Joint Science Education Project (JSEP) is a National Science Foundation supported science and cultural-exchange summer program for high-school students. The three-week program takes place entirely in Greenland. Participants from the United States, Denmark, and Greenland live and work together while exploring current research and completing their own inquiry-based investigations. The program includes two weeks of extensive field experiences based out of the town of Kangerlussuaq and a final week with a visit to Summit Station, the U.S. research facility located at the top of the Greenland ice sheet. Students observe scientists as they conduct research in a wide variety of fields including biology, geology, climatology, chemistry, and engineering. Students also have significant hands-on experiences in field research under the guidance of professional teachers from the participating nations. JSEP is open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents in the 11th grade at the time of application submittal. Applications from underserved students are encouraged. NSF's Division of Polar Programs covers all participant costs, such as food, transportation, lodging, and instruction for students selected to participate. For more information, including application materials, go to http://www.arcus.org/jsep. Applications for the JSEP 2015 program will open on November 15, 2014 and close January 9, 2015.
· ALL STUDENTS: Taking the December ACT? Want to increase your score? ACT and Test Prep is available! Cost: free! Where: Room 214 When: 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Nov 17, 19, 24, Dec 1, 3, 8, and 10 (Mondays and Wednesdays). Email Ms. Norton at email@example.com with any questions. Will be repeated with spring test dates!
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Next issue’s theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Students are invited to submit their work to firstname.lastname@example.org
Quote of the day from Arthur Ashe:
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)