GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, December 12, 2014
“L” Day Classes
· Don’t forget to get your permission slips signed for exam week! You received these yesterday in your 4th block. In case you’ve misplaced it another copy is attached. Please be sure to read through the directions and schedule at the top of the form – and NOTE: IF YOU ARE FAILING ANY CLASS YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO LEAVE EARLY ON WEDNESDAY – YOU’LL RECEIVE ANOTHER EMAIL WITH DETAILS.
· Mark your calendars now – SGA is sponsoring a Winter Dance at school on
January 31, 2015 from 7pm- 10pm. Stay
tuned for details.
· TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO BUY A CANDY GRAM! This year, SGA is partnering with Women in STEM to hold this delicious fundraiser. For those that don't know, Candy Grams are a STEM tradition in which candy canes (complete with a card) are sold during lunch at the low price of 2 for a $1 from December 8th-12th, and distributed the next week. Everyone can send them to anyone - from students to staff and in between! They are a great way to improve everyone's spirits during this busy testing time of the year.
· We need more students, parents and teachers, plan to "give the gift of life" and participate in the Medic Blood Drive on Monday, December 15 from 8 to 5 in the STEM Space. Students 16 and over are eligible to participate. If you're 16 and 120 lbs, you may donate with parental consent. (Please use the form attached or come pick one up from Ms. Ellis in the Media Center.) Seventeen year olds that weigh 110 lbs or more may participate as well and DO NOT need consent. EVERYONE donating blood must have ID with them as well as a list of medications if appropriate. Please encourage your parents to contribute as well during our blood drive. Use the following link to sign up:
http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0a4fadad28aa8-lnstem This is a fundraiser for the school on top of being good for the community. If we have at least 20% of those eligible donate this fall and again in spring semester, the school will receive at $1000 grant. Please give!
· Interested in serving as a facilitator for a student Honor Court? We’ll be staring one in January for infractions like plagiarism, cyberbullying, and excessive tardies. We need sophomores, juniors, and seniors to fill out the application before Christmas break. Email email@example.com to ask for an application and see Mr. LaFollette if you have questions.
· Time to start ordering prom tickets! Order now to get the cheapest rate possible – tickets are $40 per ticket until the end of December. They will be available on Wednesdays during Genius Hour, and they will be sold at the door of the Media Center. In January the cost goes up. Get ‘em now!
Our PTSA is selling this vintage-L&N logo t-shirt as well as magnets and tumblers. Please click on the link https://gallery.mailchimp.com/77e166c77d97838cfbec7a0ce/files/2014_Order_Form_NEW.pdf to access the order form. The order will be placed Dec. 16. If you pay with PayPal, your confirmation must be included on or attached to the order form.
· Juniors who have not obtained their free state voucher for the ACT need to do so as soon as possible. If you didn't get in for the December test, there is another ACT being offered on Saturday, February 7th. The deadline to register for this is January 9th. Please make sure not to miss this important requirement for college admissions!
· ALL STUDENTS: Taking the December ACT? Want to increase your score? ACT and Test Prep is available! Cost: free! Where: Room 214 When: 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Nov 17, 19, 24, Dec 1, 3, 8, and 10 (Mondays and Wednesdays). Email Ms. Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Will be repeated with spring test dates!
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Next issue’s theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Students are invited to submit their work to email@example.com
· Yearbook Spread: Stress – Yearbook staff is creating a page that is all about the fears a student has that will help them build a Wordle for display in the publication. If you'd like to include a comment about your fears or even pictures of you conquering them, email firstname.lastname@example.org. All students are requested to visit this link and complete the form with your thoughts for the page, too. Thank you for your participation and time.
Quote of the day from Calvin Coolidge:
Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)