GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, January 16, 2015
“N” Day Classes
· Today is Early Release – mark your calendars now to tune in to NewsTalk radio 98.7FM at 4:00 to hear our STEMpunks robotics team in a radio interview on the afternoon Phil Show!
· In case you didn’t see it yesterday, Schooldigger.com just ranked the L&N as the #12 high school in the state (out of 294 schools). Way to go Gryphons – this is based on YOUR test scores! This year let’s do so well we move into the top 10!! Read more about it here.
· Did you know one of our STEM III projects has resulted in the opening of a branch of Y-12 Credit Union here in our school? We will be accepting applications for student volunteer positions for the new Y-12 school branch that will be opening in the near future. Volunteers will be responsible for working a teller drawer, performing transactions, and implementing programs to increase bank membership. In order to apply, you must complete an application and resume, which are due January 23rd. If you are interested in becoming a bank volunteer, please email Tabitha.email@example.com for an application.
· Walk into a winter wonderland on February 7th to enjoy one of the best nights of the year. Join SGA for the first annual L&N STEM Academy winter formal. Tickets are $10 for an individual, and $18 for a couple. They will be sold January 26th- February 6th. Suggested attire is semi formal (which usually means a nice dress for girls and a shirt and tie or suit for guys). You won't want to miss the chocolate fountain and a fun night of dancing.
· There will be an interest meeting for water polo Friday, 1/16, in D112 during Advisory time. Attendees will sign in for attendance. No swimming skills are necessary. We will teach you what you need to know if you decide to join the team.
· Students interested in early morning tutoring and test make up in room 214 – we’re adjusting to Tuesday and Thursay morning from 8:00 – 9:15.
· Calling all students, parents, and faculty!! We are happy to announce that STEM's first-ever Open Mic Night is coming very soon! Mark your calendars for January 30th for a night of fun, laughs, and community! Please sign up here!! You can perform any talent you wish! For example: singing, dancing, poetry, acting, magic tricks, etc! Also, there will be warm beverages for no additional cost. Even if you do not wish to perform, please come to hang out and watch your friends, parents, and teachers perform! If you have any additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
· Tune into your local PBS TV station at 5:30 on Feb 3 to watch students from the L&N Scholar’s Bowl Team compete at the 31st annual East TN PBS Scholar’s Bowl! Go Gryphons!
· UT’s College of Engineering ill host a series of one week residential summer engineering programs this June and July. Click here to download details about applying.
· Are you struggling to keep grades up? Bring your parents for a student/parent workshop designed to teach organizational skills, study skills, increasing self-advocacy and data on the importance of education over the course of a lifetime. In our Commons Area, January 29, 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
· Financial Aid Night with TSAC: All seniors and their parents - February 2nd from 5:30-6:30 What you need to know about financing college. Presented by Erika Adams regarding FAFSA and basic scholarship info.
· Rising Student and parent Night (9th, 10th, and 11th grades) + Dual Enrollment Information Session: February 5th 5:30-6:15. Dual Enrollment 6:15-7p General overview of high school expectations and course catalog review to make informed schedule requests for next year, followed by an informational session regarding Dual Enrollment from the Pellissippi representative .
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Next issue’s theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Students are invited to submit their work to email@example.com
· Until Feb 15th there will be a collection container in the front office where you are encouraged to bring in any clean, wearable, used jeans. The retail company Aéropostale is sponsoring a competition among high schools to bring in jeans for distribution at homeless shelters locally and around the country. There is a grand prize of $5000 for the top four schools’ donations – plan now to contribute – all sizes!
· High school summer abroad programs available with scholarships to offset the costs. Go to www.ciee.org/high-school-summer-abroad for info.
Quote of the day from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.:
Everyone has the power for greatness – not for fame but greatness, because greatness is determined by service.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)