GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, May 8, 2015
“N” Day Classes
AP and Make Up STATE Tests today
REGULAR CLASS SCHEDULE – Advisory/Lunch
· Do you have the classic L&N sign shirt in your wardrobe? Show your school spirit and order yours TODAY! We’ve brought back the gray that sold out in first run and added a new color. Buy one in both! See attached order form – don’t miss out!
· The Leadership class is looking for help sorting clothes after school Tuesday the 12th! We are looking for students willing to stay from 4:45-6:00ish to help sort all of the wonderful clothing that was donated for The Street Store! Bring $5 for pizza and lend a helping hand! We hope to see you there!
· Congratulations to the following Broadcast Journalism and Acting for TV and Film students for winning the mybodymyfuture.com Healthy vs. Unhealthy Relationships PSA contest:
o 1st place- "Speak Up" Acting for TV and Film -$100 gift card per student, Allison Lapps, Isabel Richter, Jaliah Robinson, Madeline Lonas, Austin Bradley
o 2nd place- "Empower" Broadcast Journalism -$50 gift card per student: Laura Bretscher, Audrey Barbour, Sarah Ferwanah, Courtney Shepard, Rachel McGill
o Honorable Mention- "Seeing Clearly" Broadcast Journalism: Nick Barnard, Thomas Ferrell, Samantha Smith, Lorna Treffert, Laurel Tingle
These PSAs will be aired on local TV this summer and can be viewed now at mybodymyfuture.com
· Want to try sailing? The L&N STEM Academy Sailing Club is hosting a 2 day sailing clinic in conjunction with the Concord Sailing Center on May 21-22. This is for anyone who wants to try sailing, and NO EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY. You will learn the basics of sailing on the water aboard racing sailboats with certified sailing instructors. The clinic will cost $25 with dinner and breakfast being provided to those who camp overnight. Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information or to sign up.
· We have a National winner in our midst! BIG congrats to Kiersten Morris whose photograph was recognized as the National PTA Reflections winner!
· Next Monday students will be able to join our “Stress and Tests” day. By picking up a ribbon when you get to school and wearing it all day long, you’ll show support for yourself and your peers who struggle with stress-related issues and depression and send the message “by wearing this ribbon, I am here for you.” Thanks to one of our own Gryphon students who came up with this idea at this very stressful time of year!
· The Technology Student Association of the L&N STEM Academy will be selling STEM themed vinyls and Hershey's Chocolate bars in the commons during the coming mornings and lunches. The vinyls start at $4 and come in 3, 4, and 5 inch variants with green, yellow, black, and white being the color choices. You can also order a customized vinyl for $10. Hershey's chocolate bars will be available for purchase at the price of $1. We will be providing a special on buying a package of a 4 inch vinyl with a Hershey's bar. We will also be providing this package for free if you are our 100th buyer! We will start selling on April 20th and continue selling until May 7th. Our Vinylla and Chocolate fundraiser will go towards helping us compete at this year's National Conference in Dallas so consider coming by our table to buy a vinyl and a chocolate bar!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Want to get together with a couple friends and participate in a KAT scavenger hunt this summer, June 12? Fabulous prizes for winning teams! See the attachment labeled “Scavenger Hunt” for more info!
· The Children's Festival of Reading will take place on Saturday, May 16th from 10am until 3pm at World's Fair Park. I have attached a flyer with more information. To sign up to volunteer, please use this link:
https://kcpl.wufoo.com/forms/childrens-festival-of-readingvolunteer-form-2015/ See announcement attachment for more info about the event.
Quote of the day from Robert Collier:
Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.
Like doing your homework and turning it in! Do the small stuff to prepare for the big stuff students! J
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)