For Tuesday, February 25, 2014
· Final week for L&N STEM Academy PTSA 3rd Annual T-Shirt Design Contest:
Would you like to see your very own design on our next school t-shirt? Would you like to win a free shirt? Would you like to win a $10.00 i-Tunes gift card?
This year our theme will be the original L&N Depot sign on our building. Please see the following rules for a student contest being sponsored by the L&N STEM Academy PTSA for the best shirt design:
o Design colors are: Green Pantone Solid Coated 3435, Yellow pantone Solid Coated 108C, Black and White. You don't have to use all 4 colors, but no other colors can be used. The shirt will be short-sleeve, CHARCOAL (UT) grey.
o When creating your design, please remember the school motto and keep our L&N original sign in mind. Our motto: Carpe Scientiam (Seize the Knowledge) - Impart, Empower, Inspire.
o Design can be no bigger than 10 inches wide by 12 inches high. (May be on standard 12"x18" paper or smaller.) Artwork may be done by hand or digitally (150 dpi resolution minimum).
o Each submission must include your name and your advisory teacher's name written on the back. The contest is being held during the month of February. Any submission must be brought to front office and placed IN THE BOX provided in the front office marked "PTSA T-Shirt Contest Entries" no later than Friday, February 28, 2014. No entries submitted in March will be considered.
A committee has been formed which will choose finalists. The finalists' designs will be displayed for student body voting on March 5th to March 7th, 2014. The WINNER will be announced before school goes on Spring Break.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact Allison Allen, Fundraising Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org. Use your imagination and go for it!
· All girls/women are encouraged to go to the "Go Red for Women" at the YMCA this Thursday (Feb. 27th) from 7:00 to 9:00. There will be free massages, makeovers, door prizes, and refreshments.
· The National Honor Society is holding tutoring in the Guidance Office during advisory on Mondays and Fridays, beginning Mon, 2/24/14. To participate, you must let your advisory teacher know before coming to Guidance. Everyone is welcome! Whether you need help studying for a test or proofreading a paper, NHS is there to help. Ask about our Advanced-Level Tutoring system to explore subjects beyond the classroom.
· MAGIC Tournament: Be crowned STEM champion! The Tournament is THIS Saturday, 3/1, from 2-6pm in the Commons. Entry fee is $15. Prize support will be given to the top 8 and bonus prizes will be given. Additionally, there will be guest players bounty on their heads - do you have what it takes to beat them? Pre-registration during all 3 lunches until 2/21. Entry can be purchased at the door. Proceeds go to support PROM!
· Big Orange STEM Symposium: High school students are invited to the University of Tennessee's Big Orange STEM Symposium on Saturday, March 29 from 10:00am-3:00pm at Hodges Library. This program will introduce local high school students to careers and research exploration in STEM disciplines through active engagement, networking, and hands-on presentations from experts in the field and community. Registration is free at http://s.lib.utk.edu/19s and includes a FREE LUNCH. Please also email Ms. Ellis if you're attending.
· Chess club meets Wednesday mornings from 8:30 – 9:15 in room 202.
· Equality club meets Tuesday mornings 8:50 – 9:15 in room 104.
· Yarn Arts group meets Wednesdays from 4:30 – 5:30 in the Commons Area. All students and faculty are invited to attend – if you don’t know how to knit or crochet, come and learn! Bring a project or just some yarn and a crochet hook!
· Teens for Christ, Monday mornings in room D112
· Next Book Club meeting is Wednesday, March 5th, at 3:30 p.m. Rather than take a vote on our next reading selection, we thought we'd let people self-select what they wanted to read (one or more) from the group's following suggestions:
Everafter by Amy Huntley, Pastwatch by Orson Scott Card, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, Seraphina by Rachel Hartman, Crank by Ellen Hopkins
Come join us – everyone is welcome!
From the guidance office:
· The Advanced Placement Exam Registration forms are now located on the school counseling webpage under the forms section. All registration forms and payment are due to Mrs. Johnson by March 15th, 2014.
· Juniors will be taking the in-school ACT on Tuesday, March 4th at 8:00 am. Students are responsible for their own transportation to school that morning. If a junior does not want to take the test this date, please let Mrs. Salerno know asap.
· Juniors/Seniors don’t miss out. Keep checking the Guidance page on our website. They update scholarship opportunities on a regular basis and there are a whole bunch with Feburary deadlines. Don’t miss out!
Quote of the day from Albert Einstein:
Creativity is intelligence having fun.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism