For Thursday, February 27, 2014
· BIG CONGRATS to our two CyberPatriot teams who placed 2nd and 3rd in the state Open Division competition last weekend. Go cybergryphons!
· Final week for L&N STEM Academy PTSA 3rd Annual T-Shirt Design Contest:
Would you like to see your very own design on our next school t-shirt? Would you like to win a free shirt? Would you like to win a $10.00 i-Tunes gift card?
This year our theme will be the original L&N Depot sign on our building. Please see the following rules for a student contest being sponsored by the L&N STEM Academy PTSA for the best shirt design:
o Design colors are: Green Pantone Solid Coated 3435, Yellow pantone Solid Coated 108C, Black and White. You don't have to use all 4 colors, but no other colors can be used. The shirt will be short-sleeve, CHARCOAL (UT) grey.
o When creating your design, please remember the school motto and keep our L&N original sign in mind. Our motto: Carpe Scientiam (Seize the Knowledge) - Impart, Empower, Inspire.
o Design can be no bigger than 10 inches wide by 12 inches high. (May be on standard 12"x18" paper or smaller.) Artwork may be done by hand or digitally (150 dpi resolution minimum).
o Each submission must include your name and your advisory teacher's name written on the back. The contest is being held during the month of February. Any submission must be brought to front office and placed IN THE BOX provided in the front office marked "PTSA T-Shirt Contest Entries" no later than Friday, February 28, 2014. No entries submitted in March will be considered.
A committee has been formed which will choose finalists. The finalists' designs will be displayed for student body voting on March 5th to March 7th, 2014. The WINNER will be announced before school goes on Spring Break.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact Allison Allen, Fundraising Chair at email@example.com. Use your imagination and go for it!
· All girls/women are encouraged to go to the "Go Red for Women" at the YMCA this Thursday (Feb. 27th) from 7:00 to 9:00. There will be free massages, makeovers, door prizes, and refreshments.
· Need service hours? The Friends of the Library is holding a used book sale at the Convention Center and needs help. You can go to SignUp Genius (free account if you don’t already have one) to find the times and dates they need help. This is great for NHS, scholarship, or any service hours you need to earn. All dates/times are on weekends. Go to www.SignUpGenius.com/go/60B0E4BADA623A20-friends
· The National Honor Society is holding tutoring in the Guidance Office during advisory on Mondays and Fridays, beginning Mon, 2/24/14. To participate, you must let your advisory teacher know before coming to Guidance. Everyone is welcome! Whether you need help studying for a test or proofreading a paper, NHS is there to help. Ask about our Advanced-Level Tutoring system to explore subjects beyond the classroom.
· MAGIC Tournament: Be crowned STEM champion! The Tournament is THIS Saturday, 3/1, from 2-6pm in the Commons. Entry fee is $15. Prize support will be given to the top 8 and bonus prizes will be given. Additionally, there will be guest players bounty on their heads - do you have what it takes to beat them? Pre-registration during all 3 lunches until 2/21. Entry can be purchased at the door. Proceeds go to support PROM!
· Big Orange STEM Symposium: High school students are invited to the University of Tennessee's Big Orange STEM Symposium on Saturday, March 29 from 10:00am-3:00pm at Hodges Library. This program will introduce local high school students to careers and research exploration in STEM disciplines through active engagement, networking, and hands-on presentations from experts in the field and community. Registration is free at http://s.lib.utk.edu/19s and includes a FREE LUNCH. Please also email Ms. Ellis if you're attending.
· Chess club meets Wednesday mornings from 8:30 – 9:15 in room 202.
· Equality club meets Tuesday mornings 8:50 – 9:15 in room 104.
· Yarn Arts group meets Wednesdays from 4:30 – 5:30 in the Commons Area. All students and faculty are invited to attend – if you don’t know how to knit or crochet, come and learn! Bring a project or just some yarn and a crochet hook!
· Teens for Christ, Monday mornings in room D112
· Next Book Club meeting is Wednesday, March 5th, at 3:30 p.m. Rather than take a vote on our next reading selection, we thought we'd let people self-select what they wanted to read (one or more) from the group's following suggestions:
Everafter by Amy Huntley, Pastwatch by Orson Scott Card, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, Seraphina by Rachel Hartman, Crank by Ellen Hopkins
Come join us – everyone is welcome!
From the guidance office:
· AP Registration forms are now available on the school counseling webpage under the guidance form section. These will need to be printed, signed, and returned to the guidance department prior to the deadline of March 14th.
· Juniors will be taking the in school ACT next Tuesday, March 4th. Students need to be in testing rooms at 8:00 am (in the Depot) – you have to get to school on your own. You will need to bring a calculator and number 2 pencils. Students are all ready registered.
· The L&N will be hosting a rising junior, dual enrollment, and senior night on March 10th. Rising Junior presentation will begin at 5:30, the Dual Enrollment session will begin at 6:15, and the Rising senior presentation will begin at 7pm. All rising juniors, those interested in dual enrollment and all rising seniors should plan to be there with your parents.
Quote of the day from C.S. Lewis:
Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism