For Thursday, February 6, 2014
· There will be an interest meeting for anyone to learn more about a Water Polo team on Monday, Feb 10, at 6:45 a.m. at UT Student Aquatic Center.
· Students, If you would like to make a contribution to the school's new Alma Mater (School Song), Submissions are Due Tuesday, February 11th to Mr. Griffin (firstname.lastname@example.org). Any questions can also be directed to Mr. Griffin.
· MAGIC Tournament: Be crowned STEM champion! The Tournament will be held Saturday, 2/15 from 1-6pm in the Commons. Entry fee is $15. Prize support will be given to the top 8 and bonus prizes will be given. Additionally, there will be guest players bounty on their heads - do you have what it takes to beat them? Pre-registration during all 3 lunches until 2/14. Entry can be purchased at the door.
· The Financial Aid FAFSA Workshop for seniors and their parents has been rescheduled for this coming Tuesday, Feb. 11th from 3:00-4:30 (L4) in the Media Center. Elizabeth Raymond from the TN Student Assistance Corporation will be here to help with filing the FAFSA and answer any questions you may have. Seniors can refer to the documents Mrs. Salerno previously emailed them with information on what they need to bring. (This workshop is optional.)
· Singing Valentines are available for purchase ($3, carnation included) in the Commons in the mornings and during all three lunches from now until February 12. Valentines will be delivered during advisory on February 14 (Valentine's Day), so you must know the person's advisory before purchasing! Songs available include: "You Don't Know You're Beautiful," "Love Story," "I'm Yours," and "Call Me Maybe," and many more!
· Students – you can help feed the hungry across Knox County. We’re taking part in the Knox County PTA Peanut Butter drive. Bring in jars of any kind of peanut butter to the barrel in the office Feb 3 – 14. You can also bring cash and coins towards purchasing, too. Help us collect more pounds per student than any other PTA in the system!
· Juniors/Seniors: Buy your prom tickets! Keep in mind that advance sales are what allow purchase of prom favors and decorations. Help us have a great prom and not music in a bare room! Price is $50 for singles/$85. See Mrs. Brown or Ms. Stanish for tickets, questions, or an application to bring someone from outside the school. Prom is April 12 at the Square Room. Be there!
· Join us for book club! Our next meeting is on Wednesday, February 19th, from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the Media Center. Because it will have been a couple months since we last met, we selected several books to read to keep us busy. Feel free to read one or more of the following and join us on February 19: Life as We Knew It by Susan Pfeffer, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, Evermore by Alyson Noel, and The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. Everyone is welcome!
· Big Orange STEM Symposium: High school students are invited to the University of Tennessee's Big Orange STEM Symposium on Saturday, March 29 from 10:00am-3:00pm at Hodges Library. This program will introduce local high school students to careers and research exploration in STEM disciplines through active engagement, networking, and hands-on presentations from experts in the field and community. Registration is free at http://s.lib.utk.edu/19s and includes a FREE LUNCH. Please also email Ms. Ellis if you're attending.
From the guidance office:
· Juniors will be taking the in-school ACT on Tuesday, March 4th at 8:00 am. Students are responsible for their own transportation to school that morning. If a junior does not want to take the test this date, please let Mrs. Salerno know asap.
· Juniors/Seniors don’t miss out. Keep checking the Guidance page on our website. They update scholarship opportunities on a regular basis and there are a whole bunch with Feburary deadlines. Don’t miss out!
Clubs and Organizational happenings:
· Issues Group (formally Girls Talk group) is now welcoming ALL students. Next meeting is Feb 11 at 8:45 in room 206. The topic of discussion is “Warning Signs of Dating Violence and Abusive Relationships.” All who are interested are invited to attend.
· Equality club meets Tuesday mornings 8:50 – 9:15 in room 104.
· Yarn Arts group meets Wednesdays from 4:30 – 5:30 in the Commons Area. All students and faculty are invited to attend – if you don’t know how to knit or crochet, come and learn! Bring a project or just some yarn and a crochet hook!
· Teens for Christ, Monday mornings in room D112
Quote of the day from Norman Vincent Peale:
Change your thoughts and you change your world.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism