For Monday, March 24, 2014
· Hope everyone had a great spring break. Here are some reminders as we enter this very busy and fast-paced sprint to the end of this school year:
o We all enjoy a professional environment not driven by irritating bells – but this is a freedom in jeopardy. You need to be self-monitoring and use whatever tools needed (like an iPad alarm) to get to class on time.
o Be respectful of your environment. This old building is a grand place, but it will only stay that way if it is treated with respect. Help take care of it and keep a clean campus.
o Be discriminating in your decisions. If you bought some of the newest fashions over break, please keep our dress code in mind in the mornings. Save those tops and jeans with cut outs and exposed skin for the weekends – don’t wear them to school. Don’t make your teachers be fashion police – follow the dress code!
· Dual Enrollment for 2014-15 Application Session will take place in the Media Center on March 27th at 9 and 10am and again on April 8th at 9a and 10am. Students who indicated on their registration form will receive a calendar invite from Mrs. Basner and should accept the date and time that works best for their schedule. Students MUST bring:
o Completed Hep B form signed by a parent (Located on school counseling website under "forms")
o $20 application fee, credit or debit card is much easier. Of course we will take cash or check. Checks need to be made out to PSCC.
o All students will need their Social Security Number
· Materials Camp for High School Students: Materials camp for high school students is a week-long opportunity to learn about materials science, failure analysis and materials characterization through hands-on studies at UT Knoxville. The camp is free but advanced registration is required. This year’s theme focuses on using materials science techniques to aid in forensic research.
o Date: June 16-20, 2014
o Where: UT Knoxville campus
o Registration: Registration is required with a deadline of May 1, 2014. Class size is limited to 20 students.
o To apply: To obtain registration form, go to www.asminternational.org/foundation/students/materials-camps/schedule
· New announcement: STEM Symposium specifically for girls at UT – go here for more info: http://www.girlscoutcsa.org/girls/gscsa-teens/teen-events-opportunities
· Big Orange STEM Symposium: High school students are invited to the University of Tennessee's Big Orange STEM Symposium on Saturday, March 29 from 10:00am-3:00pm at Hodges Library. This program will introduce local high school students to careers and research exploration in STEM disciplines through active engagement, networking, and hands-on presentations from experts in the field and community. Registration is free at http://s.lib.utk.edu/19s and includes a FREE LUNCH. Please also email Ms. Ellis if you're attending.
· Chess club meets Wednesday mornings from 8:30 – 9:15 in room 202.
· Equality club meets Tuesday mornings 8:50 – 9:15 in room 104.
· Yarn Arts group meets Wednesdays from 4:30 – 5:30 in the Commons Area. All students and faculty are invited to attend – if you don’t know how to knit or crochet, come and learn! Bring a project or just some yarn and a crochet hook!
· Teens for Christ, Monday mornings in room D112
From the guidance office:
· Be sure to return your course request forms signed by your parents/guardians by this Friday, March 28!
Quote of the day from Anne Bradstreet
If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism