For Tuesday, March 4, 2014
· STEM Track & Field Fundraiser: Donate a minimum of $5 for a chance to win a $100 gas card! Phone number is required. Run/walk is held on Wednesday the 5th, from 4:30-6:00 pm, at the Worlds Fair Park. Participants are not required to be present to win, but you must at least donate the minimum amount. All funds received will help pay for meet entry, uniforms, and bus fares. See any track or field athlete to purchase. You can also show support by attending their first practice meet at Karns High School this Saturday, the 8th, beginning at 10:30 am.
· If you’re thinking about taking an AP exam, come to an informational meeting about the exams and registration on Wednesday, 3/5, at 8:45 in the STEM space.
· Congratulations to our students who won in the Knox County PTA Reflections Contest. Melody Morgan won first place in Photography, while Audrey Barbour and Adra Anderson both got Honorable Mentions. Ryan Flint won First Place in Musical Composition. Results of the state competition will be released later this spring.
· Everyone put your best photo-face forward. On Friday during Advisory time we will be gathering for a whole-school photo for inclusion in the yearbook.
· Need service hours? The Friends of the Library is holding a used book sale at the Convention Center and needs help. You can go to SignUp Genius (free account if you don’t already have one) to find the times and dates they need help. This is great for NHS, scholarship, or any service hours you need to earn. All dates/times are on weekends. Go to www.SignUpGenius.com/go/60B0E4BADA623A20-friends
· The National Honor Society is holding tutoring in the Guidance Office during advisory on Mondays and Fridays. To participate, you must let your advisory teacher know before coming to Guidance. Everyone is welcome! Whether you need help studying for a test or proofreading a paper, NHS is there to help. Ask about our Advanced-Level Tutoring system to explore subjects beyond the classroom.
· Big Orange STEM Symposium: High school students are invited to the University of Tennessee's Big Orange STEM Symposium on Saturday, March 29 from 10:00am-3:00pm at Hodges Library. This program will introduce local high school students to careers and research exploration in STEM disciplines through active engagement, networking, and hands-on presentations from experts in the field and community. Registration is free at http://s.lib.utk.edu/19s and includes a FREE LUNCH. Please also email Ms. Ellis if you're attending.
· Chess club meets Wednesday mornings from 8:30 – 9:15 in room 202.
· Equality club meets Tuesday mornings 8:50 – 9:15 in room 104.
· Yarn Arts group meets Wednesdays from 4:30 – 5:30 in the Commons Area. All students and faculty are invited to attend – if you don’t know how to knit or crochet, come and learn! Bring a project or just some yarn and a crochet hook!
· Teens for Christ, Monday mornings in room D112
· Next Book Club meeting is Wednesday, March 5th, at 3:30 p.m. Rather than take a vote on our next reading selection, we thought we'd let people self-select what they wanted to read (one or more) from the group's following suggestions:
Everafter by Amy Huntley, Pastwatch by Orson Scott Card, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, Seraphina by Rachel Hartman, Crank by Ellen Hopkins
Come join us – everyone is welcome!
From the guidance office:
· AP Registration forms are now available on the school counseling webpage under the guidance form section. These will need to be printed, signed, and returned to the guidance department prior to the deadline of March 14th.
· Juniors will be taking the in school ACT this THURSDA, March 6th. Students need to be in testing rooms at 8:00 am (in the Depot) – you have to get to school on your own. You will need to bring a calculator and number 2 pencils. Students are all ready registered. Breakfast will be available in the cafeteria beginning at 7:30.
· The L&N will be hosting a rising junior, dual enrollment, and senior night on March 10th. Rising Junior presentation will begin at 5:30, the Dual Enrollment session will begin at 6:15, and the Rising senior presentation will begin at 7pm. All rising juniors, those interested in dual enrollment and all rising seniors should plan to be there with your parents.
Quote of the day from Anonymous:
When the time to perform arrives, the time to prepare has passed.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism