GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, April 29, 2015
“N” Day Classes
SPECIAL TESTING SCHEDULE
TESTING SCHEDULE FOR 4/29
1st block 9:30 – 11:10 (testing block–room assignments listed below)
2nd block 11:15 – 12:55 (testing block – room assignments below)
Lunch/Gen H 12:55 – 2:17
1st lunch 12:55 – 1:25
2nd lunch 1:25 – 1:55
3rd lunch 1:45 – 2:15 (yes, it overlaps 2nd)
3rd block 2:17 – 3:57 (testing block – room assignments below)
4th block 4:02 – 4:30
TESTING ROOM ASSIGNMENTS
N1 – Coley’s N1 in Media Center
N2 – Napier’s N2 in Media Center, Robbins’ L2 in room 104
Norton’s N2 will meet in Commons to work quietly
N3 – Napier’s N3 in Media Center
· Hey Gryphons! As we explained a couple weeks ago, our Leadership Class is creating a Street Store for our final service project. The Street Store is an international effort that focuses on providing donated clothing and shoes to a local area's homeless population for free! Please click on this link to view the official Street Store video. If you'd like to help us raise money to purchase new clothing to give to those in Knoxville who have so little, please visit our GoFundMe site: http://www.gofundme.com/sf3bau4
What else do we need? DONATIONS!
We'd like to ask you again to please, please, please donate your old clothes and shoes to this cause! Remember that we can't accept undergarments (panties and bras) or socks, UNLESS they are newly purchased! We don't discriminate against sizes and would love to get a wide variety of clothing! We're also accepting travel size toiletries, especially deodorant and hand sanitizer, to put in care packages for our customers.
Want to get involved? VOLUNTEER!
You can sign up to volunteer with our Leadership Class by taking this survey. This is a great way for you to help impact the less fortunate in our city as well as earn community service hours!
Where do you donate? STREET STORE BOXES!
Look for the boxes that have a Street Store Flyer posted on it. Boxes are located in the commons, the front office, and the depot! If you have a bag that's too big for the box, drop it off at the media center with Ms. Ellis! Be sure to bag your items, provide your name and student email address inside the bag with your donations. The deadline to donate is May 1st!
FREE PIZZA! EVERY student who donates 20 pounds of clothing (or more) will be invited to a pizza party for their donations!!
· SGA is helping out the YMCA with their charity funds by hosting a field day. Come out and join us on May 1st. There will be a spikeball tournament as well as a couple games of frisbee and four square. It will be from 4:45-7:45. Help us support the YMCA and have a blast!
· The Technology Student Association of the L&N STEM Academy will be selling STEM themed vinyls and Hershey's Chocolate bars in the commons during the coming mornings and lunches. The vinyls start at $4 and come in 3, 4, and 5 inch variants with green, yellow, black, and white being the color choices. You can also order a customized vinyl for $10. Hershey's chocolate bars will be available for purchase at the price of $1. We will be providing a special on buying a package of a 4 inch vinyl with a Hershey's bar. We will also be providing this package for free if you are our 100th buyer! We will start selling on April 20th and continue selling until May 7th. Our Vinylla and Chocolate fundraiser will go towards helping us compete at this year's National Conference in Dallas so consider coming by our table to buy a vinyl and a chocolate bar!
· English EOC Morning Review Sessions: The English Department of the L&N STEM Academy will be hosting English EOC Morning Review Sessions. The review sessions are designed to refresh and review important skills for the English End of Course exams. In addition to offering meaningful practice, we will have breakfast snacks each day for those in attendance. If you'd like to brush up on your skills and prepare to knock your EOC out of the park, sign-up for some sessions! Please RSVP here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c044cadab2ca5f58-english
o Friday, May 1st: Literary Terms
LOCATION: Room 104
· SPORTS PHYSICALS FOR ALL SPORTS 2015-2016: KOC is offering $10 sports physicals at Thompson-Boling Arena on Saturday, May 2. These physicals are good for any sport in the 2015-2016 school year. Students must bring Knox County/TSSAA Sports Physical Form that has been signed by a parent/guardian. These forms may be downloaded from the Athletics page of the L&N website or at www.kocortho.com.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· The Children's Festival of Reading will take place on Saturday, May 16th from 10am until 3pm at World's Fair Park. I have attached a flyer with more information. To sign up to volunteer, please use this link:
https://kcpl.wufoo.com/forms/childrens-festival-of-readingvolunteer-form-2015/ See announcement attachment for more info about the event.
· Are you a 16- to 18-year-old who loves nature and science? NatureBridge, a nonprofit organization that connects young people to the wonder of science and nature, is hosting a two-week science and wilderness exploration program. More than 50 teens from Alcoa communities around the world will be selected to spend part of their summer exploring, adventuring and backpacking in Yosemite National Park (California) or Olympic National Park (Washington). The program fees are covered through a grant from Alcoa Foundation. For more information and the application, visit http://www.naturebridge.org/alcoa-scholars-summer-program-2015. The deadline to apply by May 1.
· High school summer abroad programs available with scholarships to offset the costs. Go to www.ciee.org/high-school-summer-abroad for info.
Quote of the day from Ralph Marston:
What you do today can improve all your tomorrows.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)