GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, April 27, 2015
“N” Day Classes
· All students – eating anywhere on campus is a privilege and as a school you are one day away from losing it! Even after reminders earlier this spring, we continue to find trash around our Plaza, on the steps outside the Mezzanine computer lab, and most egregiously – around the Veterans Memorial. Police yourself and your peers – we will require everyone into the commons area to eat each lunch if garbage is found anywhere but in the garbage cans. DO NOT lose your freedom by being lazy!
· Congratulations to our Ultimate Frisbee Gryphons who took 2nd place in the City Ultimate tournament on Saturday! Way to go guys!
· Students – when you’re in the Commons looking at the Visualization wall you will notice a new visual in the upper right corner. This presentation was created by our SECME club (SouthEastern Consortium of Minorities in Engineering) to highlight the contributions of minorities to our culture and STEM over the decades. Enjoy it!
· SGA is helping out the YMCA with their charity funds by hosting a field day. Come out and join us on May 1st. There will be a spikeball tournament as well as a couple games of frisbee and four square. It will be from 4:45-7:45. Help us support the YMCA and have a blast!
· The Technology Student Association of the L&N STEM Academy will be selling STEM themed vinyls and Hershey's Chocolate bars in the commons during the coming mornings and lunches. The vinyls start at $4 and come in 3, 4, and 5 inch variants with green, yellow, black, and white being the color choices. You can also order a customized vinyl for $10. Hershey's chocolate bars will be available for purchase at the price of $1. We will be providing a special on buying a package of a 4 inch vinyl with a Hershey's bar. We will also be providing this package for free if you are our 100th buyer! We will start selling on April 20th and continue selling until May 7th. Our Vinylla and Chocolate fundraiser will go towards helping us compete at this year's National Conference in Dallas so consider coming by our table to buy a vinyl and a chocolate bar!
· English EOC Morning Review Sessions: The English Department of the L&N STEM Academy will be hosting English EOC Morning Review Sessions. The review sessions are designed to refresh and review important skills for the English End of Course exams. In addition to offering meaningful practice, we will have breakfast snacks each day for those in attendance. If you'd like to brush up on your skills and prepare to knock your EOC out of the park, sign-up for some sessions! Please RSVP here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c044cadab2ca5f58-english
o Monday, April 27th: Summary and Paraphrase
o Wednesday, April 29th: Pronouns
o Friday, May 1st: Literary Terms
LOCATION: Room 104
· SPORTS PHYSICALS FOR ALL SPORTS 2015-2016: KOC is offering $10 sports physicals at Thompson-Boling Arena on Saturday, May 2. These physicals are good for any sport in the 2015-2016 school year. Students must bring Knox County/TSSAA Sports Physical Form that has been signed by a parent/guardian. These forms may be downloaded from the Athletics page of the L&N website or at www.kocortho.com.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Are you a 16- to 18-year-old who loves nature and science? NatureBridge, a nonprofit organization that connects young people to the wonder of science and nature, is hosting a two-week science and wilderness exploration program. More than 50 teens from Alcoa communities around the world will be selected to spend part of their summer exploring, adventuring and backpacking in Yosemite National Park (California) or Olympic National Park (Washington). The program fees are covered through a grant from Alcoa Foundation. For more information and the application, visit http://www.naturebridge.org/alcoa-scholars-summer-program-2015. The deadline to apply by May 1.
· High school summer abroad programs available with scholarships to offset the costs. Go to www.ciee.org/high-school-summer-abroad for info.
Quote of the day from Mary Pickford:
The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)