GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, April 16, 2015
“L” Day Classes
· Today, April 16, please have parents or anyone picking you up in the afternoon use an alternate location. The road in front of the Holiday Inn will be occupied with an event happening on the lawn from 3:00 – 9:00.
· The Equality Club of the L&N STEM Academy invites you to participate in the Day of Silence campaign on April 17th. The Day of Silence is a national movement to bring attention to, and hopefully stop, bullying in our schools. See the attached video for more information. Remember, this does not excuse you from classwork or answering any teacher’s questions, but it is about bringing awareness to the silence of victims of bullying,
· English EOC Morning Review Sessions: The English Department of the L&N STEM Academy will be hosting English EOC Morning Review Sessions. The review sessions are designed to refresh and review important skills for the English End of Course exams. In addition to offering meaningful practice, we will have breakfast snacks each day for those in attendance. If you'd like to brush up on your skills and prepare to knock your EOC out of the park, sign-up for some sessions! Please RSVP here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c044cadab2ca5f58-english
o Monday, April 20th: Literary Terms
o Wednesday, April 22nd: Identifying Main Ideas
o Friday, April 24th: Vocabulary in Context
o Monday, April 27th: Summary and Paraphrase
o Wednesday, April 29th: Pronouns
o Friday, May 1st: Literary Terms
LOCATION: Room 104
· You can help a student with a research project by taking the following quick survey about college preferences: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CollegeThoughts Link will be open through Wednesday, April 15 at 5:00 p.m. All responses are anonymous.
· Dual Enrollment for 2015-16 Application Session will take place in the Media Center on April 21st @ 9:00am. Students MUST bring:
o Completed Hep B form signed by a parent (Located on school counseling website under "forms")
o All students will need their Social Security Number
· The Golden Gryphon Credit Union invites you to their grand opening event in the Commons this Thursday, April 16, for all lunches. There will be games, prize giveaways, and the opportunity to learn about the benefits of setting up an account with the student bank. We look forward to seeing you there!
· SPORTS PHYSICALS FOR ALL SPORTS 2015-2016: KOC is offering $10 sports physicals at Thompson-Boling Arena on Saturday, May 2. These physicals are good for any sport in the 2015-2016 school year. Students must bring Knox County/TSSAA Sports Physical Form that has been signed by a parent/guardian. These forms may be downloaded from the Athletics page of the L&N website or at www.kocortho.com.
· East TN Maryville College's GSA and PFLAG are hosting this year's annual Diversity Prom! It's in the Alumni Gym of Maryville College on April 18th, 2015 from 6-10 PM. The theme for this year is “Alice In Wonderland”, you can buy tickets from Hope Higginbotham. The cost is $25 dollars per person and $40 for a couple. Email email@example.com for more information.
· Calling all writers: We are pleased to announce that registration is now open for the 22nd Annual Brian M. Conley Young Writers' Institute. The YWI is planned for Saturday, April 18th, from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the UT-Knoxville campus. The YWI is a free, one-day event that offers creative writing workshops for both high school students and their teachers. We hope you will help us make this year's YWI successful by encouraging your students and fellow teachers to attend. Classes offered include Poetry; Fiction; Screenwriting; Songwriting;Performance Poetry; Journalism; and Blogging. If you are interested, email Ms. Cartwright at firstname.lastname@example.org with your top 3 choices. The last day to register is April 3rd.
· BOSS Big Orange Symposium: This is a chance for students interested in science, technology, engineering and math career fields to experience hands-on scientific research skills. Saturday, April 18, 2015 from 10am - 3pm in the Hodges Library at UTK. Registration closes Wednesday, April 15. http://www.lib.utk.edu/outreach/soil/b-o-s-s/registration/
Lunch will be provided. Parents are encouraged to attend as they also have a parent session with speakers from UT Admissions, Housing, Safety, and more.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· SuDo you like younger kids? Do you love horses? A local equestrian camp needs volunteer helpers for this summer’s camps. Email S725324@knoxschools.org if you have questions or want details.
· We will have reps from Brown, MIT, and Yale here on Sunday, April 26 from 2:00 – 4:00. Come and bring your parents!
· High school summer abroad programs available with scholarships to offset the costs. Go to www.ciee.org/high-school-summer-abroad for info.
Quote of the day from Benjamin Franklin:
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)