GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, April 9, 2015
“L” Day Classes
· The llamas need us! We need 20 students who can help construct/put together the holding pens and vendor tents for Saturday’s Llama races in World’s Fair park. You need to dress to be muddy and be ready to do some manual labor from 1:00 to about 5:00 on Friday. You must get prior permission from your 3rd and 4th period teachers to miss class. The first 20 people who respond by email to Mrs. Ashe directly (and verified) will be those chosen. (note – I will check with your teachers. If you didn’t get prior approval you will not be allowed to participate).
· Dual Enrollment for 2015-16 Application Session will take place in the Media Center on April 21st @ 9:00am. Students MUST bring:
o Completed Hep B form signed by a parent (Located on school counseling website under "forms")
o All students will need their Social Security Number
· This Saturday – come to the World’s Fair Park and watch our llama run – sponsored by the SECME club. Admission is $5 per person. Time is 11:00 – 4:00. Also on Saturday – come down to Market Square to watch our artists in action as they participate in the Dogwood Arts Festival Chalk Walk!
· Are you a hockey fan? Join the fun - go to http://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/api/leagues/nhlbcg/og/league/28740
for a bracket challenge for the 2015 NHL Stanley cup finals and enter the league where you can see fellow students brackets when they become available to fill on April 12th!
· The Golden Gryphon Credit Union invites you to their grand opening event in the Commons on Thursday, April 16, for all lunches. There will be games, prize giveaways, and the opportunity to learn about the benefits of setting up an account with the student bank. We look forward to seeing you there!
· SPORTS PHYSICALS FOR ALL SPORTS 2015-2016: KOC is offering $10 sports physicals at Thompson-Boling Arena on Saturday, May 2. These physicals are good for any sport in the 2015-2016 school year. Students must bring Knox County/TSSAA Sports Physical Form that has been signed by a parent/guardian. These forms may be downloaded from the Athletics page of the L&N website or at www.kocortho.com.
· This Friday marks the 110th anniversary of our very own L&N Station's grand opening. The L&N STEM Academy and the L&N Antiquarians Club invites you and your family to a commemorative celebration on Friday , April 10, from 3:00 until 4:30. This public event will include light refreshments, information and artifacts relating to the building's history, and a special presentation by local author Jack Neely on the history and local impact of the building. We hope you take the time to celebrate this incredible place we are lucky enough to call our campus.
· Students, the L4 Leadership class is looking for your help in making their community service project a success. They are looking for donations of clothing items that you or your family members no longer need or want. Could be any size or for any age (child to adult). Don’t forget shoes, belts, bags (like duffels or suitcases). Your donations will go towards a street store (an international effort) specifically for the homeless community of Knoxville, every item you can give helps! There will be collections bins set up around the school for you to put your donations in next week. Thank you for your generosity, you are helping out a lot of people!
· Maker Faire! Do you have something you have built, designed, or created?
Show it off at the first L&N STEM Academy Maker Faire. It can be a project, piece of art, video, music, or something else you have created. Prizes will be awarded to the top designers. Bring family and friends for interactive booths and learn how to make something.
o When? April 14th 6-8 PM
o Where? L&N STEM Academy Commons
o Sign-Up Here: http://goo.gl/forms/8QO4lU34FO
· Attention junior and senior girls interested in engineering! Come join UT's College of Engineering for WomEngineers Day on Saturday April 11th at the Knoxville Convention Center for a one-day, professional mini-conference! Admission is free, and it is an excellent opportunity to network and hear from college students and experts in the engineering field! Flyer attached to these announcements. Visit http://womengineersday.com/ or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
· East TN Maryville College's GSA and PFLAG are hosting this year's annual Diversity Prom! It's in the Alumni Gym of Maryville College on April 18th, 2015 from 6-10 PM. The theme for this year is “Alice In Wonderland”, you can buy tickets from Hope Higginbotham. The cost is $25 dollars per person and $40 for a couple. Email email@example.com for more information.
· Calling all writers: We are pleased to announce that registration is now open for the 22nd Annual Brian M. Conley Young Writers' Institute. The YWI is planned for Saturday, April 18th, from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the UT-Knoxville campus. The YWI is a free, one-day event that offers creative writing workshops for both high school students and their teachers. We hope you will help us make this year's YWI successful by encouraging your students and fellow teachers to attend. Classes offered include Poetry; Fiction; Screenwriting; Songwriting;Performance Poetry; Journalism; and Blogging. If you are interested, email Ms. Cartwright at firstname.lastname@example.org with your top 3 choices. The last day to register is April 3rd.
· BOSS Big Orange Symposium: This is a chance for students interested in science, technology, engineering and math career fields to experience hands-on scientific research skills. Saturday, April 18, 2015 from 10am - 3pm in the Hodges Library at UTK. Registration closes Wednesday, April 15. http://www.lib.utk.edu/outreach/soil/b-o-s-s/registration/
Lunch will be provided. Parents are encouraged to attend as they also have a parent session with speakers from UT Admissions, Housing, Safety, and more.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Systemwide Career day – Monday, April 13, 4:00 – 7:30 p.m. at the Knoxville Expo Center. Come to meet 100 local employers and colleges.
· We will have reps from Brown, MIT, and Yale here on Sunday, April 26 from 2:00 – 4:00. Come and bring your parents!
· High school summer abroad programs available with scholarships to offset the costs. Go to www.ciee.org/high-school-summer-abroad for info.
Quote of the day from Ayn Rand:
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)