GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, April 22, 2015
“N” Day Classes
· Students – when you’re in the Commons looking at the Visualization wall you will notice a new visual in the upper right corner. This presentation was created by our SECME club (SouthEastern Consortium of Minorities in Engineering) to highlight the contributions of minorities to our culture and STEM over the decades. Enjoy it!
· Did you know this is National Student Leadership week? Our NHS leaders invite everyone to visit this one question survey to offer your thoughts on leadership. Thank you for participating!
· Did you get the email from SGA with links to all the election videos? Look for a message from S029158 to find links and be sure to watch before voting on Friday! Good luck to all candidates!
· Congratulations to STEM's Junior Classical League who placed 4th overall in their division in the TN Junior Classical League competition in Gatlingurg! Emmanuel Sosa-Cruz placed 1st in English Oratory. Anna Ward placed 1st in the Roman Life and Pen and Ink categories. Way to represent the school!
· Congrats to L&N STEMpunks (our robotics team) programmers, Ben Klein and Michael Glass, who won 1st place at the Maryville College high school programming contest on Saturday. Way to go guys!
· SGA is helping out the YMCA with their charity funds by hosting a field day. Come out and join us on May 1st. There will be a spikeball tournament as well as a couple games of frisbee and four square. It will be from 4:45-7:45. Help us support the YMCA and have a blast!
· The Technology Student Association of the L&N STEM Academy will be selling STEM themed vinyls and Hershey's Chocolate bars in the commons during the coming mornings and lunches. The vinyls start at $4 and come in 3, 4, and 5 inch variants with green, yellow, black, and white being the color choices. You can also order a customized vinyl for $10. Hershey's chocolate bars will be available for purchase at the price of $1. We will be providing a special on buying a package of a 4 inch vinyl with a Hershey's bar. We will also be providing this package for free if you are our 100th buyer! We will start selling on April 20th and continue selling until May 7th. Our Vinylla and Chocolate fundraiser will go towards helping us compete at this year's National Conference in Dallas so consider coming by our table to buy a vinyl and a chocolate bar!
· English EOC Morning Review Sessions: The English Department of the L&N STEM Academy will be hosting English EOC Morning Review Sessions. The review sessions are designed to refresh and review important skills for the English End of Course exams. In addition to offering meaningful practice, we will have breakfast snacks each day for those in attendance. If you'd like to brush up on your skills and prepare to knock your EOC out of the park, sign-up for some sessions! Please RSVP here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c044cadab2ca5f58-english
o Friday, April 24th: Vocabulary in Context
o Monday, April 27th: Summary and Paraphrase
o Wednesday, April 29th: Pronouns
o Friday, May 1st: Literary Terms
LOCATION: Room 104
· SPORTS PHYSICALS FOR ALL SPORTS 2015-2016: KOC is offering $10 sports physicals at Thompson-Boling Arena on Saturday, May 2. These physicals are good for any sport in the 2015-2016 school year. Students must bring Knox County/TSSAA Sports Physical Form that has been signed by a parent/guardian. These forms may be downloaded from the Athletics page of the L&N website or at www.kocortho.com.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· We will have reps from Brown, MIT, and Yale here on Sunday, April 26 from 2:00 – 4:00. Come and bring your parents!
· High school summer abroad programs available with scholarships to offset the costs. Go to www.ciee.org/high-school-summer-abroad for info.
Quote of the day from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe:
Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)