GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, January 13, 2016 – “N” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Reminder – if you are in a History through Film Genius Hour you MUST bring your permission slip (signed) with you to your assigned meeting room today!
· On Friday, 1/8, a flash drive was left in the Media Center. Someone took it apart and took out the insides. There were some documents, etc. on it that the owner would like back. If you have any information about who has the memory chip, please either drop it off at the front office or email Mrs. Ashe. No questions asked, just want the data back.
· Congratulations to Clara Prinston for being selected as a violinist in the Senior Clinic Symphony Orchestra, and to Marcus Lee for being selected 2nd chair Blue Band and TMEA All-State Band! Marcus is our school's first All-State Band student! Also, congratulations to Ben Boney and Jack Baldwin for their high alternate placements (1st and 3rd) on cello!
· Prom tickets for the Junior/Senior Prom are available for purchase during lunch. Single tickets are $45 and a couple tickets are $80 until January 31st. After that there is another price increase - so get your tickets now!
Theme: A Red Carpet Romance Location: Gettysvue Country Club
Date: Saturday, April 23, 2016 Time: 7-11 pm
· Calling all Seniors!!! Mark your calendars for TODAY - Wednesday, January 13th for a class picture! Please meet in front of the building at the beginning of genius hour at 12:30. Please make every effort to attend since it will be in the yearbook!
· Hey Gryphons! Open Mic Night is back this year, Feb 19th, and we are looking for talented students like yourselves to sign up to perform! Your acts could range from singing and dancing to magic and comedy— any talent acts are welcome! Sign ups close on February 1st and the number of acts is limited, so get your spot now!
· 2016 STEMinar Call for Student Papers: The Impact of Fear in Life and Literature
All students are invited to submit a paper that addresses the topic: The Impact of Fear in Life and Literature. While there is no required length, your paper must demonstrate a substantial and original engagement with the topic, be in MLA format and have been carefully proofread. Quality papers will directly, thoroughly address the topic while discussing both real-world and literary examples.
If your paper is selected, you will be invited to speak and present at our annual STEMinar event on Monday, February 8th. Additional details can be found on the posters around campus. Deadline for submissions is 4:30 P.M. on Friday, January 22nd. If interested, submit a printed and stapled copy of your finished paper in Room 208 by 4:30 P.M. on Friday, January 22nd.
· We will be hosting a Financial Aid Workshop at the L&N STEM Academy on Wed., Jan. 13th from 6-7:30pm in the commons. Our guest speaker is from TSAC (Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation) and will be covering subjects like: the FAFSA, scholarships, loans, grants, work study, and TN Promise funds. Contact Mrs. Morrell for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Leadership Knoxville is seeking applicants for the 2016-17 Youth Leadership Class. Must be a current sophomore to be eligible. Find out more about the program at www.leadershipknoxville.com/programs-services/youth-leadership-knoxville. Email Mrs. Ashe if you’re interested in applying. Deadline is Friday, Feb 26th.
Quote of the day from H. Jackson Brown, Jr:
Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresea, Leonardo DaVinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)