GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, February 1, 2016 – “M” classes
Early Release Schedule
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Our robotics team, the L&N STEMpunks, will be selling new 2016 shirts in the commons this week! Shirts are $20 and help the team pay for their $9000 competition registration fees and $5000 robot! You can also email Daniel Bueckman at: email@example.com if you want a shirt.
· Congrats to our CyberPatriot team! At the conclusion of competition Friday night they were ranked #1 in the state. Final rankings will be announced this week – but we’re proud of their accomplishments and growth as a team no matter where they finish!
· Seniors – don’t forget TN Promise meeting – MANDATORY – this morning at 8:00 a.m. in the STEM space. You must attend in order to stay eligible.
· Sophomores (Class of 2018) – your Focused plan of Study forms are now past due. You should turn them in to your Counselor with your parents signature ASAP!
· Water polo informational meeting will be Monday, Feb. 1st at 3:45 p.m. in room 104.
· Congratulations to Erykah Carter for winning the 2016 Bijou Awards for Best Female Singer. The Bijou Awards is an annual event sponsored by the Bijou Theater that celebrates and rewards area talent in singing and acting. Erykah is $1000 richer thanks to her first-place scholarship win, and, as a result, STEM is $500 wealthier thanks to Erykah's talent. Way to go, Erykah!
· The L&N STEM PTSA is having a T-shirt design contest and we need lots of entries.... there's a $50 prize for the winning shirt design!...plus a free T-shirt! T-shirt will have the L&N school crest on the front left chest, so the design will be for the back of the shirt. Design should be something that represents our school or it’s culture.
· no more than 2 colors of ink (white counts as a color if the shirt is not white)
· color of the T-shirt is up to the designer so please state your color on the entry
· deadline is February, 8th, 2016
· send your design in jpeg format to PTSA.LNSTEM@gmail.com
· Want to have high tea in Oxford? Want to visit Platform 9 3/4? Here is your chance! Mr. Bell is planning a trip to England for Fall Break 2017. The major destinations for this trip will be London, Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, and Oxford. Come see Westminster Abbey, the Globe Theatre, Stonehenge, the original Magna Carta, Shakespeare’s Birthplace, and many other legendary sites. Additionally, this trip will include four different theatre experiences! Please fill out the Google Form below if you are interested. A kickoff meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 2nd at 6:30 p.m. in the Commons for students and parents interested in the trip. We hope to see you there! http://goo.gl/forms/1kO4Bccwwg
· Mark your Calendars! The senior class will be hosting a “STEM Around the World” day on Saturday, February 27th, from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM. The day will be spent honoring the diverse cultures present around our school and participants of the event will be exposed to games, foods, dances, and arts of various different cultures around the world. (This is a family friendly event, so all are welcome). All proceeds gained from the event will be invested in the senior’s class gift so everyone’s attendance and participation would be greatly appreciated! If you, or your family would like to help out in any way possible, please sign up in the following google doc:
· Prom tickets for the Junior/Senior Prom are available for purchase during lunch. Single tickets are $45 and a couple tickets are $80 until January 31st. After that there is another price increase - so get your tickets now!
Theme: A Red Carpet Romance Location: Gettysvue Country Club
Date: Saturday, April 23, 2016 Time: 7-11 pm
· Hey Gryphons! Open Mic Night is back this year, Feb 19th, and we are looking for talented students like yourselves to sign up to perform! Your acts could range from singing and dancing to magic and comedy— any talent acts are welcome! Sign ups close on February 1st and the number of acts is limited, so get your spot now!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Leadership Knoxville is seeking applicants for the 2016-17 Youth Leadership Class. Must be a current sophomore to be eligible. Find out more about the program at www.leadershipknoxville.com/programs-services/youth-leadership-knoxville. Email Mrs. Ashe if you’re interested in applying. Deadline is Friday, Feb 26th.
Quotes of the day from Benjamin Franklin:
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)