GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, January 7, 2016 – “L” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· All freshmen will be walking to the East Tennessee History Center on Friday, January 8, for a World War I Encampment to learn about the war and its effects.
· A reminder to all students: Our L&N National History Day competition is next Monday, January 11. All projects must be set up and ready for judging by 9:30 a.m. in the Commons. You must stay with your project during judging. You do not need to be in a history class to compete in the contest. Students waiting in the Commons before school should be careful to not touch or get in the way of students setting up exhibits.
· 2016 STEMinar Call for Student Papers: The Impact of Fear in Life and Literature
All students are invited to submit a paper that addresses the topic: The Impact of Fear in Life and Literature. While there is no required length, your paper must demonstrate a substantial and original engagement with the topic, be in MLA format and have been carefully proofread. Quality papers will directly, thoroughly address the topic while discussing both real-world and literary examples.
If your paper is selected, you will be invited to speak and present at our annual STEMinar event on Monday, February 8th. Additional details can be found on the posters around campus. Deadline for submissions is 4:30 P.M. on Friday, January 22nd. If interested, submit a printed and stapled copy of your finished paper in Room 208 by 4:30 P.M. on Friday, January 22nd.
· Congratulations to Justin Cross, who has been selected as one of two students from the state of TN to serve as a state delegate to the US Senate Youth Program to be held in Washington, DC this March. Justin will receive this expense-paid trip and a $5,000 college scholarship for this honor. Way to go Justin!
· We will be hosting a Financial Aid Workshop at the L&N STEM Academy on Wed., Jan. 13th from 6-7:30pm in the commons. Our guest speaker is from TSAC (Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation) and will be covering subjects like: the FAFSA, scholarships, loans, grants, work study, and TN Promise funds. Contact Mrs. Morrell for more information: email@example.com
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Leadership Knoxville is seeking applicants for the 2016-17 Youth Leadership Class. Must be a current sophomore to be eligible. Find out more about the program at www.leadershipknoxville.com/programs-services/youth-leadership-knoxville. Email Mrs. Ashe if you’re interested in applying. Deadline is Friday, Feb 26th.
· Students interested in Architecture: There will be an orientation meeting for Architectural Explorer Post 901 for parents and students on Monday, Jan 11, 6 – 8:00 p.m. at the East TN Community Design Center (1300 N. Broadway, behind TV channel 6), in the Carriage House next to the TV station. Explore Posts are co-ed groups that meet monthly until May. Meetings include visits to architects’ offices, construction sites, and UT College of Architecture. For further info, call or email Tom Caldwell, 588-0860, Thomas@tcarchitect.com, or Gene Burr, 250-5734, firstname.lastname@example.org . Sponsored by East TN Chapter, AIA.
Quote of the day from Les Brown:
Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)