GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, January 27, 2016 – “N” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Update – students are no longer allowed to use the poster printer located in the workspace behind the art classroom unless accompanied by a teacher. We’ve had a drink of some sort spilled on it and paper jammed without anyone let someone who could fix it know about it. We have to restrict use to preserve its life. We cannot afford to replace it!
· Here are the city meet finalists from KISL competition this past weekend that resulted in our first team Championship! Join us in congratulating these students: Macy Hudson, Lindsey Sanders, and Alli Lapps for 2nd place in girls 200 Medley Relay, Brooke Foster for 10th place in 200 Freestyle, Lindsey Sanders for 3rd place in 200 IM, Abigail Rumpp (2nd place), Jessica Foster (5th place), and Abby Barker (6th place) in 50 Freestyle, Emily Bretscher (1st place) and Delaney Martin (9th place) in Diving, Alli Lapps (4th place), Macy Hudson (16th place) in 100 Fly, Abigail Rumpp (2nd place), Kendyl Nicely (13th place) in 100 Free, Jessica Foster, Abby Barker, Sydney Goodman, Abigail Rumpp for 2nd place in 200 Free Relay, Alli Lapps (2nd place), Macy Hudson (7th), Jessica Foster (14th) in 100 Backstroke, Lindsey Sanders (3rd), Sydney Goodman (10th) in 100 Breaststroke, Abigail Rumpp, Lindsey Sanders, Macy Hudson, Alli Lapps (1st) in 400 Free Relay.
Boys results: Alex Hines, Owen Sanders, Preston Nicely, Ethan Sanders (4th place) in 200 Medley Relay, Ethan Sanders (1st) in 200 Freestyle, Alex Hines (1st), Eddie Ceausu (15th) in 200 IM, Jonathan Lara (15th) in 50 Free, Jacob Siler (1st), Paul Bretscher (3rd), Nicholas Duncan (6th), Eddie Ceausu (10th) in Mens Diving, Ethan Sanders (1st), Preston Nicely (3rd), Nicholas Duncan (11th) in 500 Freestyle, Preston Nicely (4th), Owen Sanders (5th) in 100 Butterfly, Ben Kaman (15th) in 100 Backstroke, Alex Hines (2nd), Owen Sanders (10th), Daniel Eshelman (16th) in 100 Breastroke, Michael Cho, Eddie Ceausu, Paul Bretscher, Jonathan Lara (10th place) in 200 Free Relay, Ethan Sanders, Preston Nicely, Owen Sanders, Alex Hines (2nd place) in 400 Free Relay
· The L&N STEM PTSA is having a T-shirt design contest and we need lots of entries.... there's a $50 prize for the winning shirt design!...plus a free T-shirt! T-shirt will have the L&N school crest on the front left chest, so the design will be for the back of the shirt. Design should be something that represents our school or it’s culture.
· no more than 2 colors of ink (white counts as a color if the shirt is not white)
· color of the T-shirt is up to the designer so please state your color on the entry
· deadline is February, 8th, 2016
· send your design in jpeg format to PTSA.LNSTEM@gmail.com
· Class of 2018 Focused Plan of Study (FPS) were sent home with Sophomores only, yesterday, 1/25. Focused Plans of Study are designed to help students review their current progress toward graduation and refocus them if they've traveled off course. The FPS is a rough draft of the four-year plan and is subject to change each year based on actual schedule and credits earned. FPS should be returned to the Guidance Office with parent signatures by this Friday, Jan. 29th.
· Winter Formal Dance sponsored by SGA and Prom Committee – this Saturday, 1/30, from 7:00 – 10:00 in our Commons. Theme is Masque Ball – so iron your best suits/dresses (no jeans) and shine up that mask (cannot cover your whole head or face – think Phantom of the Opera for gents and mardi gras masquerade for ladies). Get your tickets this week at lunch every day in the Commons, $8 for single, $14 per couple.
· Want to have high tea in Oxford? Want to visit Platform 9 3/4? Here is your chance! Mr. Bell is planning a trip to England for Fall Break 2017. The major destinations for this trip will be London, Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, and Oxford. Come see Westminster Abbey, the Globe Theatre, Stonehenge, the original Magna Carta, Shakespeare’s Birthplace, and many other legendary sites. Additionally, this trip will include four different theatre experiences! Please fill out the Google Form below if you are interested. A kickoff meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 2nd at 6:30 p.m. in the Commons for students and parents interested in the trip. We hope to see you there! http://goo.gl/forms/1kO4Bccwwg
· Mark your Calendars! The senior class will be hosting a “STEM Around the World” day on Saturday, February 27th, from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM. The day will be spent honoring the diverse cultures present around our school and participants of the event will be exposed to games, foods, dances, and arts of various different cultures around the world. (This is a family friendly event, so all are welcome). All proceeds gained from the event will be invested in the senior’s class gift so everyone’s attendance and participation would be greatly appreciated! If you, or your family would like to help out in any way possible, please sign up in the following google doc:
· Prom tickets for the Junior/Senior Prom are available for purchase during lunch. Single tickets are $45 and a couple tickets are $80 until January 31st. After that there is another price increase - so get your tickets now!
Theme: A Red Carpet Romance Location: Gettysvue Country Club
Date: Saturday, April 23, 2016 Time: 7-11 pm
· Hey Gryphons! Open Mic Night is back this year, Feb 19th, and we are looking for talented students like yourselves to sign up to perform! Your acts could range from singing and dancing to magic and comedy— any talent acts are welcome! Sign ups close on February 1st and the number of acts is limited, so get your spot now!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· The winter college mini-fair will be this Thursday 28th during Genius Hour in the STEM space. Look for signs around school with names of the area colleges represented and with your time to attend (you’ll go during your Genius Hour at a time assigned by teacher – check with them.)
· Leadership Knoxville is seeking applicants for the 2016-17 Youth Leadership Class. Must be a current sophomore to be eligible. Find out more about the program at www.leadershipknoxville.com/programs-services/youth-leadership-knoxville. Email Mrs. Ashe if you’re interested in applying. Deadline is Friday, Feb 26th.
Quotes of the day from Robert Goddard:
It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)