GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, January 26, 2016 – “L” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· STUDENT DRIVERS! Due to an event at lunch at the Foundry today you will NOT be able to park in the bottom of the KMA lot until after 1:00. Please be a good neighbor and don’t give the guards on duty a hard time when they don’t let you in.
· Class of 2018 Focused Plan of Study (FPS) were sent home with Sophomores only, yesterday, 1/25. Focused Plans of Study are designed to help students review their current progress toward graduation and refocus them if they've traveled off course. The FPS is a rough draft of the four-year plan and is subject to change each year based on actual schedule and credits earned. FPS should be returned to the Guidance Office with parent signatures by this Friday, Jan. 29th.
· Huge congrats to the Swimming Gryphons who captured the school’s first ever KISL Championship trophy at UT’s Aquatic Center Sunday night! Special nods to Emily Bretscher and Jacob Siler for repeats of diving dominance as they won the womens’ and mens’ diving championships on Friday night!
· Winter Formal Dance sponsored by SGA and Prom Committee – this Saturday, 1/30, from 7:00 – 10:00 in our Commons. Theme is Masque Ball – so iron your best suits/dresses (no jeans) and shine up that mask (cannot cover your whole head or face – think Phantom of the Opera for gents and mardi gras masquerade for ladies). Get your tickets this week at lunch every day in the Commons, $8 for single, $14 per couple.
· Teens for Christ will start back up for this semester today at 8:50 in room D113.
· Want to have high tea in Oxford? Want to visit Platform 9 3/4? Here is your chance! Mr. Bell is planning a trip to England for Fall Break 2017. The major destinations for this trip will be London, Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, and Oxford. Come see Westminster Abbey, the Globe Theatre, Stonehenge, the original Magna Carta, Shakespeare’s Birthplace, and many other legendary sites. Additionally, this trip will include four different theatre experiences! Please fill out the Google Form below if you are interested. A kickoff meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 2nd at 6:30 p.m. in the Commons for students and parents interested in the trip. We hope to see you there! http://goo.gl/forms/1kO4Bccwwg
· Mark your Calendars! The senior class will be hosting a “STEM Around the World” day on Saturday, February 27th, from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM. The day will be spent honoring the diverse cultures present around our school and participants of the event will be exposed to games, foods, dances, and arts of various different cultures around the world. (This is a family friendly event, so all are welcome). All proceeds gained from the event will be invested in the senior’s class gift so everyone’s attendance and participation would be greatly appreciated! If you, or your family would like to help out in any way possible, please sign up in the following google doc:
· Prom tickets for the Junior/Senior Prom are available for purchase during lunch. Single tickets are $45 and a couple tickets are $80 until January 31st. After that there is another price increase - so get your tickets now!
Theme: A Red Carpet Romance Location: Gettysvue Country Club
Date: Saturday, April 23, 2016 Time: 7-11 pm
· Hey Gryphons! Open Mic Night is back this year, Feb 19th, and we are looking for talented students like yourselves to sign up to perform! Your acts could range from singing and dancing to magic and comedy— any talent acts are welcome! Sign ups close on February 1st and the number of acts is limited, so get your spot now!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· The winter college mini-fair will be this Thursday 28th during Genius Hour in the STEM space. Look for signs around school with names of the area colleges represented and with your time to attend (based on your lunch time.)
· Leadership Knoxville is seeking applicants for the 2016-17 Youth Leadership Class. Must be a current sophomore to be eligible. Find out more about the program at www.leadershipknoxville.com/programs-services/youth-leadership-knoxville. Email Mrs. Ashe if you’re interested in applying. Deadline is Friday, Feb 26th.
Quotes of the day from Eleanor Roosevelt:
It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)