GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, March 22, 2016 – “L” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Congratulations to our Tennis teams (both boys and girls) who won both matches yesterday against Chucky Doak and West Greene high schools! You can come out to see them in action today after school in a regional match at CAK – stop by and cheer them on!
· Congratulations to freshman Connor McGinley, one of only 32 students accepted this summer for the eVol10 Engineering Program at UT!
· Good luck to our Track and Field teams who will compete at William Blount high school this afternoon.
· Congrats to the Ultimate Frisbee team, who went 5-2 last weekend to finish in 3rd place at the Terminus Tournament in Atlanta, GA. This is the highest finish by a Knoxville team at an out of town tournament!
· As the weather starts to warm up – please be reminded of the dress code. No spaghetti straps, no bare midriffs (this includes back cut outs), shorts/skirts must come to at least the end of your fingertips when stretched out and standing up straight. Please don’t make us police your wardrobe and make good choices to wear to school!
· We have a prom closet with dresses and some accessories for students who wish to use it. See Mrs. Basner for information.
· SGA is sponsoring a book drive. Books will be donated to Children’s Hospital, the Boys and Girls Club, and a local nursing home. Bring donations marked “book drive” to the Library.
· Don’t forget! It's time to sign up for AP Exams! We encourage all students who have taken or are currently enrolled in an AP course to take the corresponding AP exam. Registration forms and payment should be returned to the Guidance office by this Thursday, March 24th. AP Exam order forms are available here: http://www.knoxschools.org/Page/12097, in the Guidance Office, and the document was emailed to all students. The testing site for the AP exams will be announced soon. Please check back for the dates, times & locations for pre-administration sessions. Attendance at one of these sessions is required. Questions about AP exams? Email Mrs. Morrell: email@example.com
Community & Guidance Ops:
· The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Libraries will host Big Orange STEM Saturday for high school and first-year college students from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday, April 2. Students interested in careers in science, technology, engineering or mathematics and their parents are invited to attend the event in the John C. Hodges Library, 1015 Volunteer Blvd. Big Orange STEM Saturday is free, but participants should register online by Friday, March 25.
· Knox County Youth Health Board is seeking applicants. The Youth Health Board is a diverse group of young people from across Knox County. Two reps from each high school will be accepted. Students who are selected will be able to explore the field of Public Health and expand their knowledge by working with numerous health professionals. Members will work with their community to address issues that they are passionate about. Deadline to apply is April 1, 2016. See front office for more info and applications.
Quotes of the day from Leo Tolstoy:
If you want to be happy, be.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)