GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, March 9, 2016 – “N” classes
TNReady Testing Makeup Schedule*
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· *TN Ready make-up testing will this morning at 9:30 in Room 222. If you have missed a test, you will need to report straight to the testing room when school starts. Mr. Smith's N1 will be displaced to the Commons and Mr. Fannon's N2 will be displaced to the Commons.
· Students – we recognize that you are completing a week of testing and spring break is approaching, but this is a reminder that we are still in school! There is new learning to learn, new assignments to complete, and new dreams to have. Let’s keep focused. We need to use indoor voices in the Commons, we need to touch no more than hands with our spring crush, we just need to practice professionalism. Your teachers and classmates thank you for your cooperation with this request.
· We are having issues with students riding the elevators without an elevator pass. These passes may only be obtained from the front office and they do have an expiration date. Students ignoring this policy and riding are subject to discipline up to and including out of school suspension for being in an unauthorized area. Make smart choices!
· Congratulations to Justin Cross – who was just named a Haslam Scholar at UT for next year! A prestigious honor – way to go Justin!
· Our students did exceptionally well in competitions of all sorts this past Friday/weekend – here’s the list: corrections highlighted
From Regional National History Day (24 of whom will now go to state comp in April in Nashville):
Sydney Fuhrig and Madeline Phillips – Best use of Primary Sources
Devon McGinley – 1st place – Individual Documentary
Cameron Johnson – 3rd place – Individual Documentary
Ben Hall and Kent Smith – 2nd place – Group Documentary
Connor McGinley – 1st place – Individual Exhibit
Ella Marston – 2nd place – Individual Exhibit
Ryan Barrick – 3rd place – Individual Exhibit
Jeremiah Branson, Justin Cross, Noah Dunlap, Preston Nicely, & Noah Watson – 1st place – Group Exhibit
Jacob Siler, Abbey Morgan, Jacob Samar, & Kishan Tailor – 2nd place – Group Exhibit
Bryce Long, Bryce Parker, & Jivan Taj – 2nd place – Group Performance
Deanna Bushnag, Emma Fox, Marisa Richards, & Lindsey Sanders – 2nd place – Group Website
Riley Hester – 1st place – Paper
Emma Yambert – 2nd place – Paper
From TN Association of Student Councils:
Taylor Martin – TASC All-Star Award
Kelsey Bledsoe – TASC Above and Beyond Award
Emma Talley – TASC Member of the Year Award
Mrs. Ellis – TASC Advisor of the Year Award
· Congrats to our SGA crew who ran the pancake breakfast fundraiser this weekend! Thanks to their hard work and your generosity – over $650 was raised to benefit the Helen Ross McNabb Center. Good work!
· Come join us at the National Science & Engineering Festival Trip to DC!
REMINDER: Your $300 balance is OVERDUE if you are going (and have already paid your deposit) to the National Science & Engineering Festival in Washington, D.C. April 13-17. Please bring your payment to Ms. Jorgensen or Ms. Ellis before THIS MONDAY. If for any reason, you cannot come, please let us know right away so we can find a replacement. You will only have your deposit refunded if we can fill your spot. We have an additional slot for a female student on the DC Field Trip. First come, first served. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you decide to go. Bring your $400 (total cost) and filled out field trip permission form (attached). Ms. Jorgenson will also be taking a team of art students to explore the wonderful (and free) art museums. For more information, see http://www.usasciencefestival.org.
· Autumn is the best time of the year for a trip to NYC! There will be an interest meeting about our fall break trip to NYC on tonight, March 9 from 6-7 p.m. The trip will take place Saturday morning, October 8-Thursday morning, October 13, 2016. We will see: the Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue, Grand Central Station, Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, 9/11 Memorial, Greenwich Village, Soho, Chinatown, Little Italy, the Museum of Modern Art, Central Park & the Zoo, Times Square, High Line, the American Museum of Natural History/Hayden Planetarium, a Broadway and an off-Broadway Show. If you are interested, please answer the survey at: http://goo.gl/forms/rDYWbvQdkX (If you have already done this, please DO NOT do it again. Thanks.) Chaperones will be Mr. Bell, Mr. Childers, Mr. Crattie, Ms. Ellis, Ms. Morrell, and Ms. Jorgenson.
· It's time to sign up for AP Exams! We encourage all students who have taken or are currently enrolled in an AP course to take the corresponding AP exam. Registration forms and payment should be returned to the Guidance office by Thursday, March 24th. AP Exam order forms are available here: http://www.knoxschools.org/Page/12097, in the Guidance Office, and the document was emailed to all students. The testing site for the AP exams will be announced soon. Please check back for the dates, times & locations for pre-administration sessions. Attendance at one of these sessions is required. Questions about AP exams? Email Mrs. Morrell: email@example.com
· SENIORS: This is the last week to pay Senior Dues! Don't delay! Full dues are $140. See breakdown of price below. Don't forget your $25 Senior Fee. This is not included in the dues! Dues and Fees can be brought to Ms. Stanish or Mrs. Brown.
Senior Dues Breakdown: (fee waiver CANNOT be applied)
1) $50 Yearbook (discounted $20)
2) $40 Prom ticket (discounted $15)
3) $50 Senior Luncheon and 10 custom Thank you Cards
Senior Fees: (fee waiver CAN be applied)
$25 for diploma and diploma cover
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Knox County Youth Health Board is seeking applicants. The Youth Health Board is a diverse group of young people from across Knox County. Two reps from each high school will be accepted. Students who are selected will be able to explore the field of Public Health and expand their knowledge by working with numerous health professionals. Members will work with their community to address issues that they are passionate about. Deadline to apply is April 1, 2016. See front office for more info and applications.
· Current juniors – are you interested in having a voice in our system? Applications are now open for the Student Rep on the Knox County School Board. Pick up an application in the office. Deadline is March 11.
Quotes of the day from essayist Anaïs Nin:
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)