GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, March 23, 2016 – “N” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Congratulations to our Tennis teams (both boys and girls) who won both matches yesterday against Chucky Doak and West Greene high schools! You can come out to see them in action today after school in a regional match at CAK – stop by and cheer them on!
· Congratulations to freshman Connor McGinley, one of only 32 students accepted this summer for the eVol10 Engineering Program at UT!
· Good luck to our Track and Field teams who will compete at William Blount high school this afternoon.
· Congrats to the Ultimate Frisbee team, who went 5-2 last weekend to finish in 3rd place at the Terminus Tournament in Atlanta, GA. This is the highest finish by a Knoxville team at an out of town tournament!
· As the weather starts to warm up – please be reminded of the dress code. No spaghetti straps, no bare midriffs (this includes back cut outs), shorts/skirts must come to at least the end of your fingertips when stretched out and standing up straight. Please don’t make us police your wardrobe and make good choices to wear to school!
· We have a prom closet with dresses and some accessories for students who wish to use it. See Mrs. Basner for information.
· SGA is sponsoring a book drive. Books will be donated to Children’s Hospital, the Boys and Girls Club, and a local nursing home. Bring donations marked “book drive” to the Library.
· Don’t forget! It's time to sign up for AP Exams! We encourage all students who have taken or are currently enrolled in an AP course to take the corresponding AP exam. Registration forms and payment should be returned to the Guidance office by this Thursday, March 24th. AP Exam order forms are available here: http://www.knoxschools.org/Page/12097, in the Guidance Office, and the document was emailed to all students. The testing site for the AP exams will be announced soon. Please check back for the dates, times & locations for pre-administration sessions. Attendance at one of these sessions is required. Questions about AP exams? Email Mrs. Morrell: email@example.com
· Autumn is the best time of the year for a trip to NYC! Our trip will take place during Fall Break, from Saturday morning, October 8 - Thursday morning, October 13, 2016. We will see: the Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue, Grand Central Station, Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, 9/11 Memorial, Greenwich Village, Soho, Chinatown, Little Italy, the Museum of Modern Art, Central Park & the Zoo, Times Square, High Line, the American Museum of Natural History/Hayden Planetarium, a Broadway and an off-Broadway Show. The price includes bus transportation to and from NYC, lodging, all attractions, all meals in NYC and our tour bus. (Only meals on the bus trip itself are not included.) Chaperones will be Mr. Bell, Mr. Childers, Mr. Crattie, Ms. Ellis, Ms. Morrell and Mrs. Jorgenson. If you would like a brochure, check in the Media Center or the Art Room. Please register online. The deposit will be paid directly to Gerber Tours. If you would like to join us, here are instructions:
Register online at http://www.gerbertours.com.
Click on PARTICIPANTS in the upper right hand corner and follow the steps to create your account.
Our online tour code is 66C416C1.
This allows you to make the $150 deposit, payments and participate in the installment plan.
(Tour ID # is 28916.)
Online registration & deposits are due April 30, 2016.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Libraries will host Big Orange STEM Saturday for high school and first-year college students from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday, April 2. Students interested in careers in science, technology, engineering or mathematics and their parents are invited to attend the event in the John C. Hodges Library, 1015 Volunteer Blvd. Big Orange STEM Saturday is free, but participants should register online by Friday, March 25.
· Knox County Youth Health Board is seeking applicants. The Youth Health Board is a diverse group of young people from across Knox County. Two reps from each high school will be accepted. Students who are selected will be able to explore the field of Public Health and expand their knowledge by working with numerous health professionals. Members will work with their community to address issues that they are passionate about. Deadline to apply is April 1, 2016. See front office for more info and applications.
Quotes of the day from Zig Ziglar:
Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)