GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, May 15, 2017 – “M” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
EARLY RELEASE for yearbooks at 3:30
Last meeting of M-day classes for the year
Testing today – M-day only classes will have finals
· Today is the last day to return early dismissal permission for finals days on Friday (5/19) and Monday (5/22)! Get them signed and turned in to the front office TODAY! You received them from your N2 teacher last Wed.
· Senior Checkout Monday & Tuesday, 5/15-16, 12:20 – 1:40 in the Media Center.
· Yearbook distribution (for everyone) today - Monday, 5/15 at 3:30 on the plaza. A few extras were ordered – they will be first-come-first-served purchases in cash only $80.
· Congratulations to our Boys Tennis Team – they are back-to-back Region Champions for 1A-AA! Good luck at sub-state this week!
· Track and field athletes: don’t forget your spring banquet will be Tuesday, May 16, 6:30 p.m. in the Commons. It is pot luck so bring a dish or drinks to share!
· Remember – important meeting for all those going to England over fall break, 2017, today, 5/15, 5:30 – 6:30 in the Commons!
· What happens when a bunch of STEM students are trapped against their will in a dystopian future and must battle each other while dealing with flesh-eating gryphons, emotionally sensitive guards, and a trigger-happy Gamemaster? Find out Thursday, May 18, at 7 PM on the plaza as our L&N STEM actors present Dystopia! The Hungry Maze Game of Divergent Death directed by Grace Berry and Ella Keaton. Also, to honor Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Ashe, seniors Stephanie Johnson and Ben Hall will present a duet piece from Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew directed by Brandon Boring and Christina Varnes. After the free performances on the plaza, everyone will be invited to the commons for the 1st-ever Gryphon Student Film Festival, hosted by seniors Cameron Johnson and Christian Coats. Come see the best of what STEM's Acting for TV and Film and Broadcast Journalism students have produced over the last few years. All of our STEM family and friends are cordially invited to attend!
· Vote for the summer ice cream flavor that will be named for the L&N STEM Academy! TSA invites ALL Gryphons to a free Ice Cream Social!
Monday, May 15th, from 4-7 p.m. at the Phoenix Pharmacy and Fountain (418 S Gay St, Knoxville)
Our L&N STEM Academy TSA Chapter has created several new flavors of ice cream for The Phoenix Pharmacy and Fountain. Try them for FREE at the ice cream social and then vote on your favorite flavor for $1. Whichever flavor makes the most money will be the official L&N STEM Academy flavor ALL summer long!
· For all underclassmen, all books are due to the library Wednesday, May 17th. Please drop them off in the book drop directly outside the library door. Any fines that have accrued will be forgiven if the books are received by next Wednesday. If you have lost a book, please check in with Ms. Ellis about replacement fees.
· Seniors: We will be having one last Social on Tuesday, May 16. It will be held at a "Party Barn" where there will be lit up basketball courts and fields for football, soccer, ultimate, etc. Food and drinks will be provided. All students, please note that this is not a school sponsored event, but rather just a senior social. The address is 655 N. East End Rd. Strawberry Plains, TN 37871. If you are planning on going, please fill out the google doc below. https://goo.gl/forms/sEsjZFjfVUFfkVxC3
Community & Guidance Ops:
· When: June 12-23, 2017; Live Sessions MTWThF 9:30-11am Pacific Time
Where: Online - participants require a computer with broadband access and a pair of working headsets with a microphone; wireless device can work in a pinch as well (if traveling for part of the ‘camp’)
What: It’ll be a 2-week ‘taster’ course in which we explore a variety of language functions with minimal vocabulary (cognates where possible) to make the quick pace doable and fun.
Who: 9th-12th graders (entering 9th grade and just graduated 12th grade are welcome); minimum of 2 participants, maximum of 15
Purpose: to give a taste of what studying Russian is like for those who are considering taking a longer and more comprehensive class and to get a chance to interact with peers from all over.
More details and registration information can be found here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/online-russian-language-summer-camp-june-12-23-2017-tickets-34477112973
· If you need to earn volunteer hours for your TN Promise scholarship, for your resume, or just for your own interest, consider applying to the Leadership Intern program at Shannondale Elementary School. Younger students attend Camp Invention there from June 12-16, and you can be their mentors. Apply at http://invent.org/leadershipintern or ask in Guidance.
· This summer, we’re offering CyberCamp, a program from CyberPatriot, for rising 7th-12th graders. The cost is $100 per student. To find out more and to register follow this link.
· The Knoxville Chamber of Commerce sponsors a year-long program that teaches students how to start and run their own real business. For early admittance apply by May 19. Follow this link to find out more http://www.knoxvillechamber.com/YEA
Quote of the day from Eleanor Roosevelt:
In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Bronze Medal 2015, Gold Medal 2016, Silver Medal 2017, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school