GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, May 19, 2017 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
TESTING – N1/N2 Final Exams (& last class meeting!)
EARLY DISMISSAL – ½ Day
Students with permission dismiss at 12:30
Cafeteria will be open breakfast and lunch
· Driver Permit Forms - Any student planning to take the driver permit test needs a 1010 form verifying attendance. Forms are available by emailing Mr. Powell at firstname.lastname@example.org . Forms printed in May are valid until we return to school in August. Forms will be available during the summer, also. However, plan ahead because there are a few days that the office is closed.
· Thank you to all of you who attended the Ice Cream Social at Phoenix Pharmacy & Fountain! The L&N Flavor for the Summer is Pink Lemonade--it got the most votes! Congratulations to Natalie Duncan, Kendyl Nicely, and Christina Varnes who designed the flavor together with the help of Nolan Sherrill, the owner of the establishment. We hope you'll continue to visit the Phoenix Pharmacy & Fountain. A portion of the proceeds of the sales of our Pink Lemonade ice cream will be returned to our TSA Chapter! Thank you again for sharing in this fun TSA event with us!
· TSA is still trying to raise money to get to Nationals in Florida this summer. You can help them out by visiting this site: https://www.pearup.com/groups/ln-stem-academy-tsa and completing one or more tasks to help them earn money. Pass on the link to everyone you know!
· All students and families are invited to join us at Thompson Boling Arena, today (Friday) at 3:00 for GRADUATION of the Class of 2017!
· Students should plan on checking school email account regularly over the summer. We’ll try to send updates on plans and things going on weekly. Stay informed! Summer assignments for all classes will be shared by email and will be available on the school website by May 23.
· All students: be aware that all final grades have to be entered by teachers by 4:30 p.m., Monday, 5/22. If you’re making up or turning in work, it has to be in before then to be included in your final grade!
· L&N will be well represented in next week's state athletic championships:
o Track with 3 competitors in 5 events and Tennis with a boys’ doubles team!
Jaylen Foster won the Triple Jump and took 2nd Place in the Long and High Jumps in regionals yesterday. Paul Schwartzentraub bested his school record and won the Pole Vault at 13'. Laura Bretscher finished 4th in the 3200 meter run and is very likely to be in the State competition as well as a wild card entry. David Smith was 7th in the Discus and 9th in the Shot. Seth Jinks was 8th in the 1600 meter run and competed in the 800. Stephanie Johnson competed in the High Jump, while the team of Nick Duncan, James Defreese , Turner Rogers and Jackson Sparks competed in the 4 x 800 meter relay.
In tennis, so far, Rory Glatt and Walker Lee will play for the state championship in doubles, and we find out today if the rest of the boys’ team will be joining them in a team run for the top!
Congratulations to all these athletes on representing the Gryphons well.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· When: June 12-23, 2017; Live Sessions MTWThF 9:30-11am Pacific Time
Where: Online - participants require a computer with broadband access and a pair of working headsets with a microphone; wireless device can work in a pinch as well (if traveling for part of the ‘camp’)
What: It’ll be a 2-week ‘taster’ course in which we explore a variety of language functions with minimal vocabulary (cognates where possible) to make the quick pace doable and fun.
Who: 9th-12th graders (entering 9th grade and just graduated 12th grade are welcome); minimum of 2 participants, maximum of 15
Purpose: to give a taste of what studying Russian is like for those who are considering taking a longer and more comprehensive class and to get a chance to interact with peers from all over.
More details and registration information can be found here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/online-russian-language-summer-camp-june-12-23-2017-tickets-34477112973
Quote of the day from A. A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh author):
Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Bronze Medal 2015, Gold Medal 2016, Silver Medal 2017, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school