GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, May 9, 2017 – “L” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
Testing today – AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC
· We have AP testing going on in room D121 in the Depot this morning (1st and 2nd block). PLEASE KEEP as QUIET as possible to allow a good testing environment for your classmates!
· Congratulations to our own L&N art student, Austin Bradley. His artwork "Sunsphere Series: Fourth of July" will be forwarded to Congressman John Duncan's Washington, DC office and then presented to the Capitol art curator to be hung at his office in the Capitol. This artwork, representing the Second Congressional District of Tennessee will be on display for members of Congress and thousands of visitors to enjoy while walking in the Capitol building for a year. Austin and a family member will be flown to the Congressional Artist Reception and Award Ceremony in Washington DC this summer. This is the 2nd year in a row artwork from an L&N student has won this recognition!
· For Seniors, unless you have already spoken with Ms. Ellis, all books are due back to the library by this Friday, May 12th. Please drop them off in the book drop directly outside the library door. Any fines that have accrued will be forgiven if the books are received by Friday. If you have lost a book, please check in with Ms. Ellis about replacement fees. Overdue and missing books will complicate Senior Checkout on Monday and Tuesday, so please return yours by Friday to avoid late fines and replacements fees.
For all other students, all books are due to the library Wednesday, May 17th. Please drop them off in the book drop directly outside the library door. Any fines that have accrued will be forgiven if the books are received by next Wednesday. If you have lost a book, please check in with Ms. Ellis about replacement fees.
· Hey Gryphons, it is that time of year when Gryphon Guides is accepting new applicants to be Mentors for the school year of 2017-2018! So, if you want to help guide the upcoming freshmen class, just stop by the office and pick up an application. Note, you must be a rising junior or senior to apply. The deadline is Friday, May 12 at 4:30. When you are finished with your application, drop it back off in the front office.
· Tennis news – in regional play activity – Rory Glatt and Walker Lee made it through the first round of play today to advance another step towards the state tournament! Congrats guys! Our girls team also made a solid showing in regional tournament play – well done girls! Regional play continues Tuesday in Greeneville – good luck!
· SENIORS! We need your help with the senior video. Please send your baby pictures and any pictures you'd like to be featured to email@example.com. The sooner we receive them, the better. If you have any high school memories, reflections or experiences you'd like to share, fill out this google form to be interviewed: https://goo.gl/forms/qFHjuj4Zm9qwCelG2
· BIG CONGRATS to our Ultimate Frisbee Team – they won the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP on Sunday! Ben Robinson was named MVP of the Championship Game! Our first team state title in any sport!! Well done!
· It’s that time of the year! Yearbook Distribution Day! Yearbooks will be distributed on Monday, May 15th at 3:30 on the Plaza. If you have ordered a yearbook, please make plans to pick it up at this time. Be sure to know if you’ve purchased personalization so you get the right book. If you have yet to purchase a yearbook but would like to, there is a limited quantity available on a first come, first serve basis.
· Seniors and Parents: The Class of 2017 will have their Senior Event at Pigeon Forge Community Center overnight on Friday, May 12, from 9:30 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. Additional details are being provided in the PTSA newsletter "Around the Station", via a flyer being sent home with students, and on the PTSA Facebook website. We have created a Signup Genius to ask for chaperones and snack donations. Please sign up to help make this a fun and memorable event for our students! Additional questions may be directed to Ms. Kelly Marston at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign up at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F0A4EAEA62AAAFC1-senior
· Seniors: We will be having one last Social on Tuesday, May 16. It will be held at a "Party Barn" where there will be lit up basketball courts and fields for football, soccer, ultimate, etc. Food and drinks will be provided. All students, please note that this is not a school sponsored event, but rather just a senior social. The address is 655 N. East End Rd. Strawberry Plains, TN 37871. If you are planning on going, please fill out the google doc below. https://goo.gl/forms/sEsjZFjfVUFfkVxC3
· Show your school spirit by for voting for our school in the School Spirit Contest. The school with the most votes wins $2500. Tell your family and friends to vote, too! http://www.knoxnews.com/search/school%20spirit%20challenge/
Community & Guidance Ops:
· This summer, we’re offering CyberCamp, a program from CyberPatriot, for rising 7th-12th graders. The cost is $100 per student. To find out more and to register follow this link.
· The Knoxville Chamber of Commerce sponsors a year-long program that teaches students how to start and run their own real business. For early admittance apply by May 19. Follow this link to find out more http://www.knoxvillechamber.com/YEA
Quote of the day from Albert Einstein:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge can be limited, but imagination encircles the world.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Bronze Medal 2015, Gold Medal 2016, Silver Medal 2017, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school