For Monday, December 3, 2012
"N" Schedule Day
· We’ll be trying out yet another set of bells today. Please be flexible and follow teachers’ (or intercom) directions for moving between classes.
· SGA will be selling candy canes in the morning and during both lunches for people to send out to other students beginning next Monday, December 10th through Friday the 14th. The candy canes will be handed out during advisory on the 11th, 13th, and 18th. Share your holiday spirit with the ones you love!
· Have you met our new Tech Coordinator? His name is Mr. Gouge. You’ve probably seen him around working on computers, SmartBoards, or other technology devices already. He is now setting up regular “help” hours. You can find him in the Media Center every day during 2nd lunch. Stop in if you have questions or need help with your iPad.
· Students, parents, and local businesses may support our school’s newspaper by purchasing an ad. Prices are: Extra Large – 1.75” x 6.75” for $20; Large - 2.5" x 3.5" for $15; Medium – 2.25" x 2.75" for $10; and Small – 2.6" x 1.3" for $5. You can place one by contacting student business managers at (S745031@student.knoxschools.org) or (S039642@student.knoxschools.org). Ad content must be approved by newspaper advisor.
· Spring track team interest meeting will take place on Monday, December 3 at 4:35. The meeting should be done by 5:15. Parents are welcome and encouraged to attend. If you are interested in participating in track and field, please attend or contact Coach Pickle at firstname.lastname@example.org .
· Mark your calendars to participate in these upcoming Brown Bag chats that will happen during lunch (bring yours with you) in the STEM Space in the Depot:
o Dec. 7 - Josh Cole about Geotechnical Engineering, S&ME, Inc.
o Dec. 14 - Doug Smith & Richard Stair about Wireless Charger Technologies, Texas Instruments
o Jan. 11 - Carl Wheeler, Electrical Engineering, an Electrical Engineer & Adjunct Professor at Pellissippi State CC
· Do you need community service hours? Do you want to show your appreciation for our unique facilities? Plan now on joining us for a Campus Beautification/Clean-up day this Saturday, Dec 8 from 10:00 – 2:00. Sign up with Ms. Coley in room 208 until Dec. 7.
· There are two showcases coming up where we need students to talk about our school and show what we’re doing. The first one is systemwide (all magnet schools will have a display) on Dec 4 from 4:30 – 7:00 at the KMA. Second one is at our school on Dec 10 from 5:30 – 7:30. Please email one of your teachers or Mrs. Ashe to indicate interest in representing us.
· Ijams Nature Center has lots of opportunities for service. For example, they would like volunteers for their annual holiday craft party on 12/15 from 10-2. They’ll show you how to do the craft and then you’ll help children and families make them during the event. Lots of fun! If you are interested you may contact Sabrina deVault, outreach coordinator, at email@example.com.
· Asian Culture & Language Club (ACLC): every Wednesday during Enrichment in D223.
· Chess Club meets on Wednesdays from 8:45 to 9:15 a.m. in the media center.
· Gryphon Studios, film club, on Thursday afternoons 4:45 – 6:00 PM, in Room 214 in the Station.
· The Astronomy Club meets Fridays after school until 7pm in room D119.
· Prom Committee meets in room 221 at 8:45 a.m. Next meeting is Dec. 11
Quote of the day: from Winston Churchill
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism