For Monday, November 18, 2013
“L” Day Schedule
· This morning we are starting our Early Morning Study Space in room 214. The room will be staffed with teachers from 8:00 – 9:15 each morning, Monday - Friday. Come for quiet, or help, or to make up work for teachers; all are welcome.
· Congratulations to our two CyberPatriot teams: Todd Allen, Brandon Haught, Ben Kaman, Dorian Graves, Isaiah Howell, Hunter Hawkins, Logan King, Josh Byers, Will Eubanks, Ben Abbott, Jared Scroggins and their sponsors, Dr. Nelson and Mr. Wilsey in their successful first round Challenge performance Friday night. At one point over the 6 hour competition, each team appeared on the National Leaderboard (breaking into the top 100 teams in the country!). Way to go, guys!
· The "Girl's Group" is sponsoring a food drive for FISH pantries. Each advisory will be given a box (or more if needed) on Tuesday Nov 12th to begin collecting non-perishable food items. The advisory class that gathers the most food donations by Nov 26th will win a Krispy Kreme Donut party. Please encourage your classmates to participate in this worthy cause. If you fill your box ahead of time and need another one please email Mrs. Stewart or Mrs. Keith so we can collect the box and replace it.
· Be on the lookout - on December 4th we will be having a faculty vs. Senior football game and tickets will be three dollars to watch during the last hour of an Early Release Wednesday schedule. Monies raised will go toward scholarships for senior dues. Tickets are on sale during lunch until Dec 3.
· Come join the STEMpunks in their fundraiser tailgate event this Saturday, Nov 23, from noon – 3:00. Enjoy some good grilled food, see the robots, see other schools’ robots, and bring your parents to find out about how to get involved with FIRST Robotics all over the region. All attendees are asked for a $10 donation to help refurbish the neon L&N sign that hangs on the front side of our building and to help the L&N STEMpunks be able to compete in more than one tournament this season.
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Mtg (Magic: The Gathering) meets on Tuesday's in the commons at 4:45pm until 6:00pm. Everyone is welcome to join, whether you know, or do not know how to play.
· Prom Committee will meet Thursday in Room 104 at 8:45. (Nov. 14)
· Chess club in room 202 at 8:30 on Wednesday mornings.
· Scholars bowl team practice Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:35, room 207.
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
· GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
· Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
College recruiter visits coming up. Please email Mrs. Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to attend.
Students applying to Governor's School: http://tn.gov/education/govschools/
Please note that the deadlines to submit completed applications to Mrs. Salerno for all programs EXCEPT Governor's School for the ARTS is next week, November 26th. This will ensure that your application can be submitted by the school in time to meet their final deadline. Late applications to Governor's School are not accepted!
Quote of the day from Henry David Thoreau:
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School