For Wednesday, November 6, 2013
“N” Day Schedule
· As the weather turns cooler and our “dressing up” weeks and holidays are behind us, we must recommit to the dress code. If you wear a hat to school, on the verandah, on the plaza, that is fine – but as soon as you enter a building (Station or Depot) it MUST come off. It is against Knox County dress code to wear head coverings not religious and also a workplace habit you need to develop now (not to wear hats indoors). No Hats!
· Don’t forget to turn in your permission slip for the Veteran’s Day parade to your Advisory teacher ASAP! No later than Friday, Nov 8.
· This Friday, Nov 8 use alternate pick up location in afternoon! They will be setting up for Buddy’s Race for the Cure.
· Gryphon Outreach is putting on a Chicken Nugget Eating Contest between two faculty teams to raise funds for their charity efforts scheduled throughout the year. The teams will be Mr. Smith, Mr. Fannon, and Mr. Webster against Ms. Griggs, Ms. Norton, and Ms. Holt. The competition will be 10 minutes long to see who can eat the most chicken nuggets. Donate at lunch in the bucket of the team you think will eat the most. The more $$ in a team's bucket the more advantages they get..... e.g., for $10, the team gets a 5 nugget bonus added to their total at the end. Contest is during Advisory on Thursday. Support your favorite side!
· Reminder: The deadline for the PTSA Reflections, Safety/Multi Media and Citizenship contests is next week. Students, please finalize your entries and get them submitted to the front desk or to Ms. Jorgenson by the end of the day this Friday, November 8th.
· The yearbook staff is looking to feature STEM students and faculty with their pets. Please send high quality photos of you and your pet to firstname.lastname@example.org before November 9th for a chance to be featured in the yearbook!
· Congratulations to Dagon Uselton, who competed in the TSSAA A-AA Cross Country Championships over the weekend. Dagon finished in 8th place in the state! He competed against 185 other runners from across the state of Tennessee. Dagon is the highest finisher in school history at the state level!
· For a limited time only – PTSA has the following items available for order. Order forms are in the front office. You can see samples in the school bookstore:
o Charcoal Gray (the new UT gray color this year) Sweatpants with L&N down side: $25 ($27 xxlg)
o Charcoal Gray Hoodies with STEM logo: $25 ($27 xxlg)
o Tumblers: $12
o L&N STEM cling: $5
o L&N STEM magnet: $10
o Green and Gold Pom Poms (set of 2): $6
o Limited Ed. 2013-2014 LONG Sleeve T-shirts: $15
o L&N Temporary Tattoos: $3 for 10
Please send the following information with full payment (cash or check) in envelope addressed to PTSA to the office:
1.) Student Name and Year
2.) Your phone number and email address
3.) Items you are purchasing and SIZE(s)
4.) Check made out to L&N Stem PTSA
Please address all questions to email@example.com
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Chess club in room 202 at 8:30 on Wednesday mornings.
· Scholars bowl team practice Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:35, room 207.
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
· Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
· GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
· Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
College recruiter visits coming up. Please email Mrs. Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to attend.
Wednesday 11/6 Tusculum College during lunch
Students applying to Governor's School: http://tn.gov/education/govschools/
Please note that the deadlines to submit completed applications to Mrs. Salerno for all programs EXCEPT Governor's School for the ARTS by November 26th. This will ensure that your application can be submitted by the school in time to meet their final deadline. Late applications to Governor's School are not accepted!
Quote of the day from Woody Allen:
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School