For Monday, November 4, 2013
“L” Day Schedule
· Lost – a solid metal (silver) spoon. If found, please turn in to the office.
· Friday, Nov 8 use alternate pick up location in afternoon! They will be setting up for Buddy’s Race for the Cure.
· Calling all Gryphons! Gryphon Outreach is putting on a Chicken Nugget Eating Contest between some members of the faculty. The teams will be Mr. Smith, Mr. Fannon, and Mr. Webster against Ms. Griggs, Ms. Norton, and Ms. Holt. The competition will be 10 minutes long to see who can eat the most chicken nuggets. That's where you come in. You will be able to donate money to support your favorite side. Buckets will be out until November 6th. They can put money in the bucket of the team they think will eat the most. The more $$ in a team's bucket the more advantages they get..... so for $10, the team gets a 5 nugget bonus added to their total at the end. Support your favorite side! Monies raised will go to support Gryphon Outreach’s charity efforts.
· Reminder: The deadline for the PTSA Reflections, Safety/Multi Media and Citizenship contests is next week. Students, please finalize your entries and get them submitted to the front desk or to Ms. Jorgenson by the end of the day on Friday, November 8th.
· L&N STEM Academy was represented in all of the October 24th UT Engineer Day competitions. Approximately 1000 students were present from across the state, with teams coming from as far away as Memphis and Nashville. STEM 2ENG and several seniors competed at the Quiz Bowl, Solar Car racer, Balsa Wood Bridge, Egg Drop, Food Battery and Radiation Shielding events. Most notably, the Radiation teams earned 1st, 8th, and 10th places. In addition, the Food Battery teams earned 5th, 11th and 12th places. The Number 1 Radiation team had a calculated score of "5", while number two and three teams had scores of 0.84 and 0.50. Well done Gryphons, and get ready for next year!!
· The yearbook staff is looking to feature STEM students and faculty with their pets. Please send high quality photos of you and your pet to email@example.com before November 9th for a chance to be featured in the yearbook!
· For a limited time only – PTSA has the following items available for order. Order forms are in the front office. You can see samples in the school bookstore:
o Charcoal Gray (the new UT gray color this year) Sweatpants with L&N down side: $25 ($27 xxlg)
o Charcoal Gray Hoodies with STEM logo: $25 ($27 xxlg)
o Tumblers: $12
o L&N STEM cling: $5
o L&N STEM magnet: $10
o Green and Gold Pom Poms (set of 2): $6
o Limited Ed. 2013-2014 LONG Sleeve T-shirts: $15
o L&N Temporary Tattoos: $3 for 10
Please send the following information with full payment (cash or check) in envelope addressed to PTSA to the office:
1.) Student Name and Year
2.) Your phone number and email address
3.) Items you are purchasing and SIZE(s)
4.) Check made out to L&N Stem PTSA
Please address all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Chess club in room 202 at 8:30 on Wednesday mornings.
· Girl Talk, room 214, Tuesdays at 8:45.
· Scholars bowl team practice Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:35, room 207.
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
· Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
· GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
· Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
College recruiter visits coming up. Please email Mrs. Johnson (email@example.com) if you want to attend.
Monday 11/4 TN Tech during Advisory
Tuesday 11/5 MTSU during Advisory
Wednesday 11/6 Tusculum College during lunch
Students applying to Governor's School: http://tn.gov/education/govschools/
Please note that the deadlines to submit completed applications to Mrs. Salerno for all programs EXCEPT Governor's School for the ARTS by November 26th. This will ensure that your application can be submitted by the school in time to meet their final deadline. Late applications to Governor's School are not accepted!
Quote of the day from Mark Twain:
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School