GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, September 16, 2015 – “N” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· If you did not pick up your progress report on Tuesday you can pick it up in the Commons before school today. There are two other forms going out with it that will allow you to participate in field trips and other activities this year. Don’t miss out! When forms are signed please return to front office.
· Look for your email on Genius Hours from Mr. Childers. It will have which activity you’re signed up for as well as the lunch you’ll have. Remember, each day your lunch is likely to change based on the activity, so be where you’re supposed to be doing what you’re supposed to be doing!
· Students in AP Statistics have to create real data collection opportunities. Please help out one pair of researchers who are studying thinking and habits of people who play video games. Please take a moment to take their survey here.
· Students and Staff order your spirit week shirts now! They are on sale in the Commons during all three lunches. Shirts will be on sale from now until September 30th and are $15 (XS-XL - for each additional X please add another dollar). All proceeds go to support prom.
· Looking for students willing to sign up to do our intercom Moment of Silence and Pledge of Allegiance in the mornings (9:28). You can sign up for one week at a time. Email Mrs. Ashe to claim your week!
· Come Exercise with Us!! Family Fitness Fun Monthly Event
Saturday September 26th 9-10 am
Hosted by L&N STEM P.E./ Wellness Department
Join us for some interval cardio and strength training fun. Bring parents & siblings and come ready to move. Meet at the flag pole! (or in the fitness room if the weather is not cooperating)
· The PSAT is an optional exam for 9th-11th grade students. It is the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying test (NMSQT) for juniors. The test date is Wednesday, October 14, 2015 (day we return from Fall Break) at school. Registration deadline is Friday, September 18; bring $20 fee and school's registration form to Guidance. Not sure if taking the PSAT is the right move for you? Click HERE to learn more about the PSAT.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Great new tool just rolled out by the US Department of Education for college and career searches. Check out https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/
· The month of September is Chiari Awareness Month. Arnold-Chiari Malformation is a rather uncommon condition in which the brain tissue extends into the spinal canal, which limits the drainage of spinal fluid. This limited drainage causes extreme migraines and can drastically affect vision. Many doctors know nothing of this condition, and as such it can be very difficult to get proper medical treatment. For more information regarding this, you can visithttp://www.wichiaricenter.org/Chiari Since this school will likely produce multiple doctors, the exposure of this information could have a great impact on how doctors approach patients with this condition.
· TN Promise will drop off books on November 10th from 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in the STEM Space. Students who plan to participate in the TN Promise proceedings will be given a 10 minute overview of the qualification process and mandatory attendance dates.
· The Goethe-Institut invites applications from high school students 16-18 years old to participate in an all-expense paid educational trip to Germany this fall (Nov. 27 – Dec 6) 12 students will be traveling to Berlin, Braunschweig and Cologne, meet their German peers, experience German culture and visit a number of research institutions. You will find details, the program for the trip and the application form at www.goethe.de/chicago/stem. Students do not have to speak German, they just have to be interested in science and have participated in a research project. The deadline for completed applications is September 30, 2015.
Quote of the day from John Maxwell:
Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)