GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, September 21, 2015 – “M” classes
Early Release Schedule
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Be sure to turn in your Martian field trip forms as soon as you get them signed to the front office along with payment.
· Runners with the L&N cross country team brought home 9 medals and a trophy for their performance at the Hardin Valley Invitational on Saturday 9/19! The girls team won 2nd place among small schools and had six top-20 finishers (Laura Bretscher, Brooke Foster, McKensie Nelms, Rachel Magers, Emily Sutherland, and Rowan Hamilton). The boys team had three top-20 finishers (Austin Bradley, Matt Sullivan, and Daniel Haught). Wish the team luck at their next meet on Thursday 9/24 at the Johnson University Invitational! Way to go runnin’ Gryphons!
· Don’t forget – Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings in D113 at 8:50 a.m.
· Students who need free/reduced lunch access – today (9/21) is the last date to receive a free or reduced lunch cost without having submitted a new application for this year. Anyone who has not fill out a new application (available at https://www.lunchapplication.com/Default.aspx ) by Monday will have to pay full price. Let us know if your parents need help completing the form.
· Hey students – did you know we have a working branch of Y-12 Credit Union located in our school? If you are interested in volunteering to work at the Y-12 student branch this year, pickup an application from the folder outside Room 215. Please return to Mrs. Griggs by Friday, October 2nd. Interviews will be conducted on Monday, October 5.
· Students and Staff order your spirit week shirts now! They are on sale in the Commons during all three lunches. Shirts will be on sale from now until September 30th and are $15 (XS-XL - for each additional X please add another dollar). All proceeds go to support prom.
· Looking for students willing to sign up to do our intercom Moment of Silence and Pledge of Allegiance in the mornings (9:28). You can sign up for one week at a time. Email Mrs. Ashe to claim your week!
· Come Exercise with Us!! Family Fitness Fun Monthly Event
Saturday September 26th 9-10 am
Hosted by L&N STEM P.E./ Wellness Department
Join us for some interval cardio and strength training fun. Bring parents & siblings and come ready to move. Meet at the flag pole! (or in the fitness room if the weather is not cooperating)
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Great new tool just rolled out by the US Department of Education for college and career searches. Check out https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/
· The month of September is Chiari Awareness Month. Arnold-Chiari Malformation is a rather uncommon condition in which the brain tissue extends into the spinal canal, which limits the drainage of spinal fluid. This limited drainage causes extreme migraines and can drastically affect vision. Many doctors know nothing of this condition, and as such it can be very difficult to get proper medical treatment. For more information regarding this, you can visit Since this school will likely produce multiple doctors, the exposure of this information could have a great impact on how doctors approach patients with this condition.
· TN Promise will drop off books on November 10th from 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in the STEM Space. Students who plan to participate in the TN Promise proceedings will be given a 10 minute overview of the qualification process and mandatory attendance dates.
· The Goethe-Institut invites applications from high school students 16-18 years old to participate in an all-expense paid educational trip to Germany this fall (Nov. 27 – Dec 6) 12 students will be traveling to Berlin, Braunschweig and Cologne, meet their German peers, experience German culture and visit a number of research institutions. You will find details, the program for the trip and the application form at www.goethe.de/chicago/stem. Students do not have to speak German, they just have to be interested in science and have participated in a research project. The deadline for completed applications is September 30, 2015.
Quote of the day from Albert Einstein:
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)
L&N Girls Cross Country with their 2nd place trophy at HVA Invitational!