GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, September 8, 2015 – “L” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· We are working to prepare to roll out our first Genius Hour offerings shortly. Until then, all students will keep reporting to Advisories.
· SGA will hold its first meeting Tuesday (today, 9/8) in the STEM Space during both first and second lunches. We'll wrap up the meeting in time for all members to eat third lunch. Please make every effort to get to the STEM Space by 12:25 p.m. If you haven't turned in your fees or application, please do so at the meeting. This means if your Advisory usually meets in the STEM space, you will have 3 lunches tomorrow (unless you are involved in SGA). This is NOT permission to leave, but you will report to the Commons for lunch.
· Remember, lunch is still on “lock down” until further notice. You did a good job last Friday, keep it up to earn back the privilege of eating where you wish. Your cooperation is expected and appreciated.
· Plan ahead everyone! Here are two upcoming events that will affect many students:
o Thursday, Sept 10, the Foundry will be hosting an event and we need you to park in the Blackstock lot if you normally park in the museum or the small lot at the corner of World’s Fair Park Drive.
o Monday, Sept 14, we will be administering the PLAN test to all sophomores. If you are a sophomore and normally have M1 or M2 open block – you will NOT on this date. You need to be here to test at 9:30. To all others – we will stay in M1 until time to go to M3, M2 will not meet on this date. Plan accordingly.
· For the first time in L&N's history, our music students have placed into the top ensemble in all three instrumental areas of the Knoxville Symphony Youth Orchestra! Congratulations to Kelty Oringderff (violin), Marcus Lee (principal bassoon), and Ruthanne Brock (percussion)! Also, congratulations to Ella Marston (violin) and Jack Baldwin (cello) for their outstanding KSYO placements, too!
· Senior Night tonight, September 8th @ 6:00pm for parents and students to learn a little more about graduation, senior year, the college application process, deadlines, logistics of requesting transcripts and recommendation letters, and the best scholarship search sites.
· Make A Splash at the L&N STEM! Come to interest meeting about Gryphon Aquatics - Swim & Dive Team 2015-2016
When: September 11th At 8:30 a.m
Where: STEM Space in the Depot
If you have questions or cannot make the meeting see Dr. Bretscher. Parent meeting will be 9/24 at 6 pm.
· Come Exercise with Us!! Family Fitness Fun Monthly Event
Saturday September 26th 9-10 am
Hosted by L&N STEM P.E./ Wellness Department
Join us for some interval cardio and strength training fun. Bring parents & siblings and come ready to move. Meet at the flag pole! (or in the fitness room if the weather is not cooperating)
· Attention Gryphons! Would you like to be in the yearbook? Did you do anything fun or exciting over the summer? If so, please email any photos (with a brief description) on what you did to email@example.com.
· Interested in joining our Venturing Crew? It’s a co-ed group sponsored by the Boy Scouts of America that meet here at the L&N and explore STEM careers and travel. Come find out more Tuesday, Sept 15, room 202, 4:40 – 5:30.
· Anyone interested in our Climbing Club/team – competition season starts soon! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info and how to get involved!
· The PSAT is an optional exam for 9th-11th grade students. It is the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying test (NMSQT) for juniors. The test date is Wednesday, October 14, 2015 (day we return from Fall Break) at school. Registration deadline is Friday, September 18; bring $20 fee and school's registration form to Guidance. Not sure if taking the PSAT is the right move for you? Click HERE to learn more about the PSAT.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Girls! Bring your parents and get a firsthand glimpse at possible STEM majors in engineering at UTK, Saturday, Sept 26. Sign up at http://tet2015.eventbrite.com . Flyer is attached to this briefing.
· TN Promise will drop off books on November 10th from 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in the STEM Space. Students who plan to participate in the TN Promise proceedings will be given a 10 minute overview of the qualification process and mandatory attendance dates.
· The Goethe-Institut invites applications from high school students 16-18 years old to participate in an all-expense paid educational trip to Germany this fall (Nov. 27 – Dec 6) 12 students will be traveling to Berlin, Braunschweig and Cologne, meet their German peers, experience German culture and visit a number of research institutions. You will find details, the program for the trip and the application form at www.goethe.de/chicago/stem. Students do not have to speak German, they just have to be interested in science and have participated in a research project. The deadline for completed applications is September 30, 2015.
Quote of the day from Voltaire:
No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking.
In other words – be persistent!
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)