GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, September 25, 2015 – “N” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· NATIONAL HISTORY DAY: Interested in participating in National History Day this year, but it's not assigned in class? You're still welcome to participate on your own or in groups. The theme this year is Exploration, Encounter, and Exchange in History. Visit the website to get more details: www.NHD.org. Mark your calendar; our school competition is scheduled for January 28th. See Mrs. Robbins or Ms. Coley for details.
· Big shout out to Ruthanne Brock for qualifying for the 2015 All-East Women’s Choir!
· Congrats to graduating senior Michael Waller, who took his oath to join the US Army upon graduation on Monday. The military has great technology! See pics from his swearing in ceremony below. Well done, Michael!
· Mr. Bell is collecting supplies that will be sent to aid a European refugee camp of 18,000 people. These individuals will be facing winter in harsh conditions and need our help. We are collecting winter clothes, coats, pants, long underwear, blankets, children's diapers, and adult diapers. One Vision International will be sending a large metal shipping container at the end of October. Mr. Bell will be accepting donations in new or gently used condition until October 9th in Room 208.
· Be sure to turn in your Martian field trip forms as soon as you get them signed to the front office along with payment.
· Hey students – did you know we have a working branch of Y-12 Credit Union located in our school? If you are interested in volunteering to work at the Y-12 student branch this year, pickup an application from the folder outside Room 215. Please return to Mrs. Griggs by Friday, October 2nd. Interviews will be conducted on Monday, October 5.
· Students and Staff order your spirit week shirts now! They are on sale in the Commons during all three lunches. Shirts will be on sale from now until September 30th and are $15 (XS-XL - for each additional X please add another dollar). All proceeds go to support prom.
· Come Exercise with Us!! Family Fitness Fun Monthly Event THIS
Saturday September 26th 9-10 am
Hosted by L&N STEM P.E./ Wellness Department
Join us for some interval cardio and strength training fun. Bring parents & siblings and come ready to move. Meet at the flag pole! (or in the fitness room if the weather is not cooperating)
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Celebrate your freedom to read! September 27 through October 3, is the American Library Association’s Banned Books Week. Our Library Media Center is encouraging students to pick up and read a banned book. Part of our school promotion will take place on Twitter, using the hashtag #LNShelfie. Please consider taking a picture of yourself with a banned book and tweet it using that hashtag, as well as the more universal tag #bannedbookshelfie. Or, if you don't not want to post a shelfie (a picture of you with a book), you could simply post a photo of the book with #bannedbooksweek and #LNShelfie. Unsure of what books have been banned? Check out the links below. So if you would like to participate, please tweet your shelfies using the hashtags #LNShelfie and #BannedBooksWeek, or, if you would like, you could email the photos straight to Mrs. Ellis. (Feel free to stop by the Library Media Center to borrow a book if you do not own any yourself.) There is also a reading flash mob scheduled from 3:00 – 4:00 on Market Square on Saturday, Oct 3. Bring a chair and a book to read and join the read-in to celebrate that you can!
List of Most Commonly Challenged Classics - http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/classics
List of Most Commonly Challenged Books in the Past Decade - http://www.ala.org/bbooks/top-100-bannedchallenged-books-2000-2009
· Next week is College App week across TN. We’re celebrating our Seniors by having them sign a banner with colleges they’ve applied to (AND/OR been accepted – bring your acceptance letter for a photo op!) and Juniors to sign with where they are wanting to apply. Next Wednesday, on the plaza, during all 3 lunches. Come see the signatures and get some free popcorn!
· Need community service hours? Open Streets Knoxville is happening Sunday, Oct 25th from 1 - 4 p.m., and we need a LOT of volunteers to make it a success. Volunteers will get a free Open Streets Knoxville t-shirt. Go here to find out more http://openstreetsknoxville.com/ or here to sign up: https://www.volunteersignup.org/TJ9LE
· The month of September is Chiari Awareness Month. Arnold-Chiari Malformation is a rather uncommon condition in which the brain tissue extends into the spinal canal, which limits the drainage of spinal fluid. This limited drainage causes extreme migraines and can drastically affect vision. Many doctors know nothing of this condition, and as such it can be very difficult to get proper medical treatment. For more information regarding this, you can visit Since this school will likely produce multiple doctors, the exposure of this information could have a great impact on how doctors approach patients with this condition.
· TN Promise will drop off books on November 10th from 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in the STEM Space. Students who plan to participate in the TN Promise proceedings will be given a 10 minute overview of the qualification process and mandatory attendance dates.
Quote of the day from Earl Nightingale:
We become what we think about.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)
Class of 2016’s Michael Waller takes his oath of service for the US Army