For Wednesday, September 23, 2015 – “N” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Congrats to graduating senior Michael Waller, who took his oath to join the US Army upon graduation on Monday. The military has great technology! See pics from his swearing in ceremony below. Well done, Michael!
· A group from the Bible Study genius hour is gathering at the flag pole tomorrow morning around 8:45am to pray for schools. This is a nation wide celebrated event, if you would like to know more information about this here is the link: http://syatp.com.
· Mr. Bell is collecting supplies that will be sent to aid a European refugee camp of 18,000 people. These individuals will be facing winter in harsh conditions and need our help. We are collecting winter clothes, coats, pants, long underwear, blankets, children's diapers, and adult diapers. One Vision International will be sending a large metal shipping container at the end of October. Mr. Bell will be accepting donations in new or gently used condition until October 9th in Room 208.
· Congratulations to Austin Bradley, Ali Lapps, Jaliah Robinson, Isabel Richter, and Madeline Lonas, whose film won recognition in the Knoxville Film Festival over the weekend. Over $50,000 worth of scholarship offers came with the award! You can view their short award-winning video at https://youtu.be/6Z48YVAgSfA We also had the 2nd place team in safety animation – congrats to Jacob McDaniel, Jacob Manges, Zach Bradley! Way to represent!!
· Be sure to turn in your Martian field trip forms as soon as you get them signed to the front office along with payment.
· Hey students – did you know we have a working branch of Y-12 Credit Union located in our school? If you are interested in volunteering to work at the Y-12 student branch this year, pickup an application from the folder outside Room 215. Please return to Mrs. Griggs by Friday, October 2nd. Interviews will be conducted on Monday, October 5.
· Students and Staff order your spirit week shirts now! They are on sale in the Commons during all three lunches. Shirts will be on sale from now until September 30th and are $15 (XS-XL - for each additional X please add another dollar). All proceeds go to support prom.
· Come Exercise with Us!! Family Fitness Fun Monthly Event
Saturday September 26th 9-10 am
Hosted by L&N STEM P.E./ Wellness Department
Join us for some interval cardio and strength training fun. Bring parents & siblings and come ready to move. Meet at the flag pole! (or in the fitness room if the weather is not cooperating)
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Great new tool just rolled out by the US Department of Education for college and career searches. Check out https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/
· The month of September is Chiari Awareness Month. Arnold-Chiari Malformation is a rather uncommon condition in which the brain tissue extends into the spinal canal, which limits the drainage of spinal fluid. This limited drainage causes extreme migraines and can drastically affect vision. Many doctors know nothing of this condition, and as such it can be very difficult to get proper medical treatment. For more information regarding this, you can visit Since this school will likely produce multiple doctors, the exposure of this information could have a great impact on how doctors approach patients with this condition.
· TN Promise will drop off books on November 10th from 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in the STEM Space. Students who plan to participate in the TN Promise proceedings will be given a 10 minute overview of the qualification process and mandatory attendance dates.
· The Goethe-Institut invites applications from high school students 16-18 years old to participate in an all-expense paid educational trip to Germany this fall (Nov. 27 – Dec 6) 12 students will be traveling to Berlin, Braunschweig and Cologne, meet their German peers, experience German culture and visit a number of research institutions. You will find details, the program for the trip and the application form at www.goethe.de/chicago/stem. Students do not have to speak German, they just have to be interested in science and have participated in a research project. The deadline for completed applications is September 30, 2015.
Quote of the day from Aristotle:
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)
Class of 2016’s Michael Waller takes his oath of service for the US Army