GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, September 2, 2015 – “N” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· SGA applications forms are due Wednesday. Please drop them off completed with fee (cash or check made out to L&N STEM Academy) in the box on the big table in the Library/Media Center. If you have any questions please direct them to Ms. Ellis.
· Senior Night on September 8th @ 6:00pm for parents and students to learn a little more about graduation, senior year, the college application process, deadlines, logistics of requesting transcripts and recommendation letters, and the best scholarship search sites.
· Hey students – you can help out a former teacher from here who is now working at a nearby school. She is in need of some young adults books. She needs these books so her students can read during their free time because they don't have money to afford these books. If you guys have, or know someone who has these books and would like to donate them please email firstname.lastname@example.org and bring in the books before Friday! We believe we can make a change in these kids lives even if we don't know them!
· Don’t forget to get your Extended Campus Forms signed and returned to the front office. These will allow you to continue walking to the library, KMA, UT, and the Veterans Day parade. Please get them in ASAP.
· Make A Splash at the L&N STEM! Come to interest meeting about Gryphon Aquatics - Swim & Dive Team 2015-2016
When: September 11th At 8:30 a.m
Where: STEM Space in the Depot
If you have questions or cannot make the meeting see Dr. Bretscher. Parent meeting will be 9/24 at 6 pm.
· Come Exercise with Us!! Family Fitness Fun Monthly Event
Saturday September 26th 9-10 am
Hosted by L&N STEM P.E./ Wellness Department
Join us for some interval cardio and strength training fun. Bring parents & siblings and come ready to move. Meet at the flag pole! (or in the fitness room if the weather is not cooperating)
· Attention Gryphons! Would you like to be in the yearbook? Did you do anything fun or exciting over the summer? If so, please email any photos (with a brief description) on what you did to email@example.com.
· Interested in joining our Venturing Crew? It’s a co-ed group sponsored by the Boy Scouts of America that meet here at the L&N and explore STEM careers and travel. Come find out more Tuesday, Sept 15, room 202, 4:40 – 5:30.
· Anyone interested in our Climbing Club/team – competition season starts soon! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info and how to get involved!
· The PSAT is an optional exam for 9th-11th grade students. It is the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying test (NMSQT) for juniors. The test date is Wednesday, October 14, 2015 (day we return from Fall Break) at school. Registration deadline is Friday, September 18; bring $20 fee and school's registration form to Guidance. Not sure if taking the PSAT is the right move for you? Click HERE to learn more about the PSAT.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Learn more about potential colleges to visit by talking to their reps who come to campus! Stop by guidance or email email@example.com to reserve a spot for any or all of these reps:
o Vanderbilt University, Wed., 9/2, 1:00 – 1:30
o Roanoke College, Thurs, 9/3, 12:30 – 1:00
· The Goethe-Institut invites applications from high school students 16-18 years old to participate in an all-expense paid educational trip to Germany this fall (Nov. 27 – Dec 6) 12 students will be traveling to Berlin, Braunschweig and Cologne, meet their German peers, experience German culture and visit a number of research institutions. You will find details, the program for the trip and the application form at www.goethe.de/chicago/stem. Students do not have to speak German, they just have to be interested in science and have participated in a research project. The deadline for completed applications is September 30, 2015.
Quote of the day from Sophocles:
Always desire to learn something useful.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)