GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, November 10, 2015 – “L” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Students who drive – please do not park at KMA or small corner lot today (Tuesday). There is a large function at the Foundry mid-morning.
· Way to go Cross Country runners! You all represented us so well at the state championships this weekend – our girls placed 11th overall as a team in the state. Our highest ranking runner was Laura Bretscher who finished 23rd, followed at #70, Brooke Foster, #89, Rowan Hamilton, #96, McKensie Nelms, #125, Emily Sutherland, #126, Grace Berry, and #168, Taylor Hancock. These places are out of all runners in our division across the whole state! Well done, ladies!
· Congratulations to our 9th graders Connor McGinley (violin) and Mattie Mills (contrabass) who were both selected for the top orchestra in Junior Clinic auditions this weekend! Also, congratulations to Macy Hudson (cello) who was ranked as a high alternate placement! Students competed against top musicians from Oak Ridge, Maryville, and Knoxville programs. Way to demonstrate the Arts behind our Design excellence!
· Prom tickets for the Junior/Senior Prom are now available for purchase during lunch. All tickets are $40 through November and December. Get your tickets now while the price is low.
Theme: A Red Carpet Romance; Location: Gettysvue Country Club
Date: April 23, 2016 ; Time: 7-11pm
· Please note – this Wednesday, Nov 11, we will be taking an all-school walking field trip to watch the Veterans Day parade on Gay St. All students will walk with their Advisory groups to a designated viewing spot for the parade. For those with Dual Enrollment or Open Blocks, make note – this is the bell schedule for Wednesday:
o 1st block: 9:30 – 10:25
o Meet Advisory class, view parade: 10:30 – 12:20 those not attending will report to Commons area for supervision
o Genius Hour: 12:20 – 1:41 (normal schedule)
o 2nd block: 1:41 – 2:36
o 3rd block: 2:41 – 3:36
o 4th block: 3:41 – 4:30
· Congratulations to the following Broadcast Journalism students for winning the ORNL Thank a Veteran Video Contest: Anna Horrocks, Destiny Large, Cinna Lockhart, Devon McGinley, and Lauren Morris. The winning video will be showcased during a Veterans' Program in Oak Ridge on November 11. The broadcasting team will be presented an award and $300, and $200 will be presented to the school. Here’s a link to view the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz5HM0D2r1Q
· The L&N STEMpunks FRC Team 3966 are collecting socks for Socks for the Sox, a holiday outreach drive lead by the Evil Purple Sox FTC Team 8498. We need your help gathering socks to donate to our local Knoxville charity, and you can bring new and unused socks in the green recycling bin in the front office. We'll be collecting socks until December 4th, so please consider helping us give back to the community!
· Interested in writing a novel? Maybe you've already started one? November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Check out the website for the Young Writers Program and sign up here: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/. To celebrate and encourage participation, the Media Center will be open at 8 a.m. in the morning throughout November. Just think about what you could accomplish in just 1 hour a day for a month! Work alongside Mr. Crattie and Ms. Ellis as they work on their own novels.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· SENIORS: TN Promise will drop off books on Tuesday, November 10th from 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in the STEM Space. Students who plan to participate in the TN Promise proceedings will be given a 10 minute overview of the qualification process and mandatory attendance dates. All should plan on attending this meeting.
Quote of the day from Teddy Roosevelt:
Do what you can, where you are, with what you have.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)